carp off season?

ving

yeah ok, it just carp... but i like catching them.

the last few times i have been to my local hole i havent received a bite. do carp shut down when the water is cold? my last 4 sessions have resulted in doughnuts. :(

Yes they shut down in their native habitat around winter but the climate in Sydney is temperate. Thus they can still be caught all year round. The past week has been pretty warm and sunny too. What kind of bait are you using? If you are floating bread, try a sinking bread bait instead. They will be closer to the bottom. Keep persisting and good luck!

Edited by nbdshroom

If it's any consolation, the carp have shut down at my local ponds here in S.A. as well.

But once the weather warms up, it's wabbit season. Carp become more active in spring and will be in breeding mode.

Try different baits to wake up shut down fish. Locally dug worms, corn kernels (creamed corn as burley), cheese as well as bread all works at different times.

Also use as little weight as possible, and back your drag right off, allowing them to "mouth the bait" a bit without feeling resistance.

I have been using circle hooks for carp, because the fish hook themselves and because you are almost always guaranteed a lip hooked fish.

Hope this helps a bit,

Steve :drunk:

I just went down to the local and they were on the bite.

Landed a huge one but got busted off right at the edge. Was on 4lb braid 6lb leader. The best fight I have had yet.

Was just using bread, they were pretty active on the surface.

Cheers

Matt

I just went down to the local and they were on the bite.

Landed a huge one but got busted off right at the edge. Was on 4lb braid 6lb leader. The best fight I have had yet.

Was just using bread, they were pretty active on the surface.

Cheers

Matt

Good stuff. Like I said, I've always found them around even in winter. Obviously donuts do happen, but that will also occur during summer anyway. That's fishing. :)

Edited by nbdshroom

Ving, the advice that Steve J gave is sound but I would add that a bit of burley helps bring them to you and keep them there. I usually fish on the bottom and use bread to accompany my light as possible sinker. Once I have cast in I flick small pellets of the bread all around my fishing area. Works well here with an odd fish up to 10 lb caught but mostly up to 5 lbs. The hotter the day the better , at least here in the Riverina. Cheers, Big Neil.