First trip in new Yak - went pretty well for an online store version :-)

mottyman

G'day everyone,

Fortunate enough to have a day off today and decided to head down the Nepean for a paddle this morning in the new Yak I bought of that online store. Took some rods to see how I would go carrying everything and for some casting practice under the trees.

So, here's how it went.

Chucked it in at the boat ramp at Tench reserve. The kayak is easily handled on my own with all my gear. I was able to carry the Yak, paddle, rods, backpack on my back down to the water all in one go. I like that as it means I don't have to leave the yak unattended while I park the car and carry the rest of the gear down to the water. The handle in the middle of the Yak makes it very easy to carry in one hand with Rods and paddle in the other.

Put all my gear in and jumped in. No problems there, pretty stable and was off.

I was a bit concerned when I first started off as I couldn't get it to track in a nice straight line. This I found out however was mostly due to me not paddling correctly. Once I got the hang of the paddle and got into a nice easy rhythm paddling was really easy and she tracked straight no problems.

In all it was very enjoyable paddling up the river and back. Ended up doing 7.5km's by the GPS. Very pleasant.

I stopped a long the way to take some pics of the scenery and a very cold a sluggish water dragon. The river is pretty void of life at present and the water is very, very cold. My feet were a little numb each time I stopped and hopped out for a little look around.

Hopefully as summer approaches and the weather warms up the river will be back to it fishy best and a few Bass will come on board. Looking forward to that.

So all in all for what you pay for them the Yak was pretty good and got me out on the water this morning which was nice. I am really looking forward to hooking a fish tho... its been a long time LOL :-)

post-237-0-34665100-1377492460_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-65103600-1377492530_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-51048600-1377492611_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-85772600-1377492678_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-96505900-1377492765_thumb.jpg

Cheers

David.

Hi Dave,

Predator and I went for a fish at nepean yesterday. Another mate put his kayak in at devlin and went down past Yarramundi and back and didn't get a single bite.

I was thinking about getting a kayak/getting the wife to buy me one for xmas. I was looking at two of the online stores and saw a couple around the $400.00 range. Would you recommend buying one of these for your first kayak.

Cheers

Matt

Hi Dave,

Predator and I went for a fish at nepean yesterday. Another mate put his kayak in at devlin and went down past Yarramundi and back and didn't get a single bite.

I was thinking about getting a kayak/getting the wife to buy me one for xmas. I was looking at two of the online stores and saw a couple around the $400.00 range. Would you recommend buying one of these for your first kayak.

Cheers

Matt

Don't won't to hijack, but those kayaks for the online store are magic! I too, just bought one and recommend them as value for money!

Dave, great report and its a great way to spend some time one the water. The fish will come, just get used to the yak!!!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hi guys,

Matt, yes the river is quite dead. Nothing doing and very cold. Should pick up when the warmer weather arrives and the water improves (I hope!!)

And yes, that is the exact Kayak I got as a present for my birthday - the one off the online store for under $400. As scratchie says they're great and certainly value for money with all the gear you get with them.

I thoroughly enjoyed mine yesterday and would recommend one if you were looking for a first yak.

Cheers

David.

That is a beautiful looking stretch of water. What do you normally catch there? Bass +?

Makes me miss my Hobie Pro Angler reading about your kayaking, though I would never go back to such a heavy beast of a yak, tempted to look into one of these online shop models to paddle around the parramatta river with the boy.

That is a beautiful looking stretch of water. What do you normally catch there? Bass +?

Makes me miss my Hobie Pro Angler reading about your kayaking, though I would never go back to such a heavy beast of a yak, tempted to look into one of these online shop models to paddle around the parramatta river with the boy.

Yes mate, target Bass. It is absolutely beautiful. Once you're up in the gorge you could be anywhere in the world :-) There are other things around to catch, Mullet, Nepean Herring and of course Carp. I've pulled carp out of there as long as my leg LOL.

I'm probably going to get down to Hen and Chicken Bay or around Concord Hospital for a paddle and a fish one the weather warms up. :-)

Next item , a small electric so you can move & fish at the same time.

Fished Bate Bay on Tuesday. The fish were a bit more copperative than your experience.

There were reports of Trout in the river after the last big rain , any sign or recent reports , perhaps they have moved on.

Geoff

Next item , a small electric so you can move & fish at the same time.

Fished Bate Bay on Tuesday. The fish were a bit more copperative than your experience.

There were reports of Trout in the river after the last big rain , any sign or recent reports , perhaps they have moved on.

Geoff

Yep, going to get a small electric now! Woot woot!