Off Marley

grandad

Left Port Hacking at 5.00 Tried a few spots on the way down, Found a patch wide off marley.

The trawlers (unmarcked) had just pulled in their nets, so they burlied the spot for me.

Got my 10 flatties in a couple of hours and started chasing the birds, never seen so many. did not apear to be anything underneath the baitfish. Tried plastics and slugs but nothing there. Came home when the wind stopped.

Grandad

post-12725-0-78448400-1377584834_thumb.jpg

post-12725-0-61661200-1377584836_thumb.jpg

post-12725-0-84637700-1377584837_thumb.jpg

post-12725-0-11970200-1377584839_thumb.jpg

Ive been out there with that sort of bird activity and threw everything at them for donuts, I even trawled droped the rigger, nothing, other days you get stripes, bonito, salmon etc.

you got yourself a nice feed of flaties, enjoy.

Grandad, a nice feed there.

I headed out to Bate Bay a bit later than you, did not see any birds other than 1 albatross and a couple of terns just winging it. Guess the birds were down your way.

Have found in previous years that there are schools of very small fish starting to appear around this time of year down that way, and some stripeys should turn up soon to start feeding on them.

Nice feed of flats and birds are awesome. Passed over a school of slimeys between the Ulladulla lighthouse and Lake Tabourie some years ago. A massive school but also nothing under it.

I have been thinking of having a go at fishing the Hump from the Port. Would appreciate details of where do you put your boat in to fish Marley. Is the Yowie Bay ramp aok for a 5.6 M deep V boat?

Thanks

Cheers

Paikea

Yowie

the baitfish were only 50mm long. could have scooped them out with a net,

They covered an area about the size of a footy field.

There was also a lot of eggs in the water. when I filled a bucket with water it was full of floating eggs.

Grandad

Yowie

the baitfish were only 50mm long. could have scooped them out with a net,

They covered an area about the size of a footy field.

There was also a lot of eggs in the water. when I filled a bucket with water it was full of floating eggs.

Grandad

That's about the size that turn up each year at this time. Hopefully the big ones will be feeding on them soon.

That's about the size that turn up each year at this time. Hopefully the big ones will be feeding on them soon.

we fished the peak on sunday and on the way back in we came across several patches of those tiny bait fish, there were some big fish busting up in between looked like stripeys, didnt have any small lures to cast at them so had a go with throwing a livie towards them and throwing unweighted pillchard but nothing would have a go. iv heard the saying "match the hatch" but what they were feeding on were tiny. what other meathods would you recommend trying when coming across somthing like this? maby trol some deep divers around the area? or cast metal lures at them?

When things get a bit tricky like this, what I used to do was get a stainless steel hook and tie a fly with some silver tinsel.

A lit of silver and red, bound with some plain white cotton and a dab of super glue.

Then troll it on a 2m 20lb trace begind a mirror-float.

You know the kind of floats I'm talking about ?

Hard plastic with mirrors on it.

The splash and flash of the float draws attention and the fly gets hit 2m behind the float.

The whole rig can also be cast as the float provides the weight but it is a bit bulky and can't be cast into the wind without tangles.

Guys fishing the ocean rocks use this technique very well.

Hope this works for you..

Tony

I bought some soof plastics the size only an inch long in a jar and they work great, before that I used white cloth strips I placed it over the hook and did my knot over it worked a treat, I used a small sinkier before the mono line about a meter back, if I didnt have that I used a tube worm :074: , the head is tough and stays on on really well and end up catching Bream of all things :risata: , Just kidding about the tube worm Tony :sun: