Nice Rainbow and a Brown at Eucumbene

SMn

Headed down the Snowys today, gave the white stuff a miss, took my brother and his mate for a fish instead. We were shore bound so we had Powerbait and Gulp (Chunky Cheese and Sherbert), tried the soft plastic crickets and also a tub of big fat worms, for bait. I had a crack with my fly rod using an olive woolly bugger, but apart from catching my back a few times no dice!

So we headed over to Yens Bay at Old Adaminaby and rigged the boys up with a light running sinker rig on a couple of spinning reels with worms. I set up 1 rod similar and then thought I'd try a differnt rig on the little Alvey 500c, so made up a paternoster with 8lb fluro and put a small snapper sinker on the bottom. Much heavier than I normally use when fishing for trout.

So after 6hrs of nothing and multiple bait changes, the boys are starting to give me a hard time. Just as they start questioning my fishing prowess (hahaha...) a freight train smashes my top hook with a worm bait.

Put on a great show leaping out of the water 5 times before I had it on the bank. A beaut 47cm Rainbow which weighed in at 1.6kgs. That shut the lads up! I put another worm on and cast back out, mean while the others had had their baits out the whole time. 2 minutes later I felt a touch on the line, lifted my rod tip and a quick wind... bang! On again, this time a skinny Brown measuring 39cms. Released to fatten up a bit more.

Cooked the Rainbow up for dinner, baked whole in foil with a knob of butter and some salt and pepper, absolutely perfect! Very happy!

post-24928-0-18395600-1377861327_thumb.jpg

Awesome report, and quality fish!! I've given the lakes a crack a few times land based spinning hardbodies but no luck for me! Once the weather warms up I'll be down there with my yak ;) cheers for the read :)

Thanks mate.

I just installed a triple mount on my yak and plan to do the same around summer. Best of luck!

As they say, it ain't over till the fat lady sings. Good on you for persevering and showing the lads how it is done. That rainbow would have tasted fantastic no doubt.

It sure felt great! Hahaha! A part from mulloway, trout is my favourite eating fish.

Edited by SMn

Great result for your perseverance there SMn!

Just getting out in the mountains is great & catching a fish is a bonus IMO :biggrinthumb:

Love the mountains mate, my olds retired down here so its a yearly pilgramidge for me. Quality country and with snow capped mountains on the main range in the background makes for a special fishing experience.

I have never fished Eucumbene or Jindabyne. I must really give them a go sometime... From what I have heard they are the Mecca of trout fishing so I am keen to give them a go. Congrats on a nice bow. That is a perfect eating size fish! They are as good on the plate as they are on the end of your line, ;)

Luc.

I have never fished Eucumbene or Jindabyne. I must really give them a go sometime... From what I have heard they are the Mecca of trout fishing so I am keen to give them a go. Congrats on a nice bow. That is a perfect eating size fish! They are as good on the plate as they are on the end of your line, ;)

Luc.

I have fished it for many years but never really had any success until the last 2 years. I have heard the best times to fish Eucumbene is April before the rivers close and October when they are open to fish again. I'm hoping to break the drought with flyrod in October, if I'm lucky enough to head back down again.

Hope you score a cracker if you give it a try!

yeah mate, we r so fortunate. my flyfishing is centred around the autum months, there is certainly some stonkers in there.

Awesome! I've only been fly fishing on occasion down there since around this time last year so will definitely brush up on my casting in the saltwater lagoons around the Central Coast until Autum then I'll try the rivers down the Snowys. The rainbow in this post is my biggest to date, a local down there was telling me that the last run before the rivers closed, saw browns average 2.5-3kgs! Would be magnificant to get one on the flyrod!

Nice read mate and top catch!

It's probably a good thing that you caught the fish and not your friends ..... they may have rubbed it in otherwise.

Terrific effort and well done.

Ian

I reckon your right Chelub, if they had of scored I would have been ruined... hahaha... Thanks mate!

Was down there this week as well, you had the right idea!l...I should have skipped the white stuff and had a fish!

Great catch mate

Been a pretty ordinary season as far as the snow... hope you still had a blast!

great read and wonderful catch mate

im still waiting to catch my first trout

It took me ages to get my 1st as well, I thought there was no fish in there the amount of times I tried and came home with nothing. Then all of a sudden I just started catching them... I think it really is about time and trying different things. My first was on a live mudeye, then quite a few on powerbaits like Chunky Cheese, never any on grubs or tassies and this time was the 1st on worms. So for me there is still no pattern. I find it a lot more unpredictable then beach fishing which is my usual type of fishing, but that makes it more brilliant when I do land one! Good luck I'm sure you will nail one next time you get the chance!