Father's Day Botany Bay

pmak

G'day fellow Raiders. Fishing on Father's day has been a bit of a family tradition since I caught my first fish on a soft plastic lure seven years ago. This year was a bit different with my eldest son out of action due to an ankle injury. My youngest son decided to make a sacrifice and stay home with his brother so that I could take my lovely wife out fishing! That was my Father's Day present as I rarely get the opportunity to take my wife out as she normally lets the kids or her dad take priority over her.

We launched just on sunrise at Kurnell and did a slow troll along the north heads when I saw a large flock of seagulls at a distance.

post-3388-0-04178400-1378118264_thumb.jpg

A huge bust up was occurring at the near horizon. By the time I had unhooked my hard bodies lures and tied on metal slices the boil had made its way to us! It was awesome being in the middle of a feeding frenzy and soon enough my wife was hooked up. After a long fight (the drag was a little under done) she had her first Aussie Salmon in the boat.

post-3388-0-34178100-1378118362_thumb.jpg

We had drifted off a little during the fight but managed to find the school again and it was game on!

post-3388-0-02652100-1378118397_thumb.jpg

With some coaching on her pump and wind technique, she played her fish and had salmon no. 2 in the boat.

post-3388-0-16206000-1378118426_thumb.jpg

She had so much fun it was great to watch. She's got a healthy respect for the Aussie Salmon now she's tangled with it. I did manage to get one and a couple of trevally later at the Towra flats but the day belonged to my wife. I had one of best Father's Days in a while and we finished off with a great family fish dinner that night. Hope everyone else had a fishy Fathers Day too ...

Great report pmak and congratulations for getting your wife onto her first Aussie Salmon. They are great little fighters on light tackle and I agree that it is quite exciting to sit in the middle of a feeding frenzy, especially if your the only boat enjoying the opportunity.

PS - looks like it was cold

Thanks for the kind words guys. You're right Stewie, time spent fishing with the love of your life is priceless, especially when the fishing is hot. Basscatcher, it was a little cool in the morning but my wife threw off her bright RTA jacket after getting her workout with the fishing!