The doughnut is broken

fishingnoob

Hi Raiders,

Well the title says it all. I AM FINALLY OFF A DOUGHNUT.

Went for a quick carp session with Pred-ator yesterday when we got home from work. We got their about 5:15 so there was not much light left, about half an hour.

Threw out some bread and on the first cast was on. Didn't put up much of a fight, Stan said I had enough drag on to fight a marlin.

Fish was probably in the 50's and weighed 2-3kg.

Stan was persisting with the fly rod and casting to where the fish were eating the bread up the top and getting nothing so switched to his spin rod.

First cast and was on. His carp was in the 40's and weighed about 1-2kg, so I FINALLY OUT FISHED HIM and will never let him forget it.

Photos to come.

Both fish were released so we could catch them another day. I know from reading other reports people say they are a pest and throw them in the bin, but we live in the suburbs and its a 5 minute walk to the lake and its fun to be able to go after work when you can't make it out anywhere else.

Cheers

Matt

I have to agree, man made carp ponds are gun when you don't want to travel far, and carp are so much fun on the light gear, however I won't go lighter than 6lb because the bigger fish (75-80cm) make mincemeat out of me.

I personally don't have any issues with carp going back in man made contained waterways, even though I usually keep my carp and turn them into saltwater baits, whole baby carp for mulloway, and strips of carp flesh for salmon and flathead. In fact the flatties absolutely love carp strips, I think it's because of the strong smell.

Also get one of those wire squid jigs, poke it through a baby carp, and wait for a big squid to grab on. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Steve

G/Day Raiders

Most of the man made lakes in these new suburbs are stormwater retention lakes and when they get to a certain level will overflow via stormwater pipes that flow to the nearest creek, river etc that could let the carp start breeding in other waterways,

just a thought Cheers.

Hey Matt,

Its about time LOL. Nice fish buddy, your face was priceless bringing in this heathan.

As for the release of carp in this lake, the drain is actually blocked off by wall of those bamboo things so should be sweet but either way they came in from there so its not like new carp are being introduced.

I cant wait for a monster on 4lb, that would be fun!