Buying a Yak

Jacques.va

Hi All,

I have been reading through all the posts about yaks but I am a little unsure as to what I should purchase. I have narrowed down my search to these models but as I have not done much Kayaking before I am uncertain on which direction I should head in. These are the things I will be looking at doing

1. General fishing in Botany, Syd Harbour and the Hacking
  2. occassionally head to Longreef(weather permitting and confidence)

Now the three yaks I have found are the

• Ocean prowler 4.3
  • Hobbe PA12
  • Hobie Outback

I am ahppy with the price on all three but want something that is practicle but has all the benifts for doing some deent fishing. I will look at installing a Fish finder and additional bits and bobs.

ANy help would be much apreciated.

JVA

If your only fishing inside I'll be getting the pa 12 or 14 for sure.

If ur going to be heading to long reef I'd get the prowler

Although people do head out in pa's I wouldn't recommend it.

The 12 and 14 hav only 5 kg in weight difference but the 14 has a Tom more space up the front. They are really easy to rig up and I have gone on many fishing trips without even getting wet at all. Big advantage when fishing nights and winter.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JVA

Just make sure you actually GO OUT in any kayak that you are interested in buying & take your fishing rods & lures with you. If they won't let you on the water to 'try it out' don't buy it. You MUST try before you buy!

Most people buy at least 1-2 yaks before they get the one they are really happy with. Try & avoid this by trying first!!

cheers

Roberta

It's hard to say. The PA is what you want fishing inshore and in all the estuaries. The ability to stand up and fish is invaluable. It would probably be fine offshore, but not ideal. The prowler 4.3 would be ideal for offshore work. I know plenty of people do, but i wouldn't take an outback offshore. From what you've said you'll mainly be fishing in botany and the harbour. It comes down to personal preference between the paddle yak and being able to fish freely with foot pedals. IMO the PA's are the best you can get for inshore/estuary work. As previously said, definitely 'try before you buy'. You'll find that many of the big kayaking stores and that will do demo's.

Cheers, Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips I am still testing Yaks out and will hopefully make up my mind before summer. At the moment I leaning towards the prowler 4.3 only due to price and all round capabilities. The PA12 is awesome but a bit heavy and pricy.

I will put up some pictures once I make the purchase.