WOOOOP FIRST FISH ON THE FLY! : )

PRED-ATOR

Hi Raiders,

Finally yesterday arvo, i caught my first fish on fly. I have been trying day after day and working really hard on my presentation, all i can say is the persistance paid off.

Found a few carp tailing in the shallows and launched out a bread fly, first fish took interest, bumped it but didnt take. I represented the fly and BOOM. Caught this sucker which went approx 3kg, the biggest we've caught this season. Made some huge runs and took me to the backing on every single one of them. Heart pounding stuff on 4lb leader, thought id lose it for sure.

Gear used:

Nitro Innovator distance model

Redington surge 6 wt

6wt FF line

4LB Tapered leader

Just want to take this opportunit to thank fellow raiders Alibar, Slinky, Troutboy, Royce, Foolforjesus, Stewy for all your hints and tips. You can all have a cutlet of this carp LOL but in all seriousness, very greatful for the tips.

Enjoy the read,

cheers Stan

post-16847-0-53252200-1378332488_thumb.jpg

post-16847-0-07612300-1378332962_thumb.jpg

Quite the under rated fish that carp is, in Europe there are places that charge $50 per day to allow folks to catch fish like that, yet here in Oz we can get them everywhere for free. Congrats on the first fly caught fish mate. :drunk:

Thanks for the comments guys,

Luc - Definately mate. ill start getting more flies and lets hit the streams. Cant wait to start chasing some bass now, we scoped out some awesome looking places along the nepean, cant wait to give them a crack.

Any fly suggestions for bass, other than poppers?

congratulation stan, you'll be addicted in no time !

you can try a deer hair floater with a sinking bread fly below ( tied off the hook bend of the floater 20- 30 cm then you have a bet each way, hard not to catch them. foam also works for the floater and cotton wool on the sinking fly.

you can also burley up with pop corn and tie flies to match, also if there are any sort of fruit tress or ones that drop big seeds at the edge / over the water, fish will hang under there wait for a feed in the right season... mulberry flys are big in the USA where the tree borders the river, carp love em, they are rated as a target over there too

good luck !

Edited by jimmy72