Port Mac Last Night Jewey Adventures

one fishes

G'day All, its been a little while since I've been fishing but yesterday arvo 07/08/2013 I got a call from a mate who wanted to go chase a jewie. We looked at the tides and weather forecast and well what do you know It was perfect.

Started off putting the boat in at around 3:00pm on almost dead low tide with the idea of going and getting some mullet for our session.

Catching the mullet was a no go, we tried everything and used a whole loaf of bread for burley, the sun was going down and we were thinking oh no this ain't good no bait, when just on dark my mate bruiser caught 3 river gar consecutively and there were high fives like we had won lotto.

We went to our spot and set up at around 7:00pm and it was agreed that we would wait and have a feed and chat till around 8:45pm an hour before high tide as we only had 3 gar. After sitting around for an hour twiddling our thumbs we thought ahh stuff it lets send them out so out they went at 8:00pm instead hoping not to get breamed.

At around 8:45pm when we were going to set the baits out and just as a party boat was going by Bruisers rod goes off with a screaming run of at least 100m, after about a 10 min tussle here comes the colour WOW a nice sizeable Jew well over 20kgs, so I get the gaff ready and it takes another run with a head shake and spits the hooks, dam it we said that was a nice fish.

Mean while my 1 bait is still out there swimming around and as happy as a pig in mud, I say to bruiser mate we are still in with a chance you got 1 more bait and we havn't even got to the premium time yet, so he rigs it up an sends it out.

Just before the top of the tide Bruisers rod gets another run but nothing like the first with no insta hook up, he winds in and all that is left is a gar head. Oh well hes says and packs up his gear and lies down. I said to Bruiser, mate we'll wait to the boat starts to swing around and we'll call it a night, I said I don't even know if have a bait on but I don't want to wind it in we'll just wait it out.

As im sitting there with my eyes fixed to the glow stick stuck to the tip of my rod the boat starts to swing a little and im thinking either way its been a good night with a little bit of action i'll have a ciggy and then i'll wind it in, I turn to bruiser and say ok mate we'll call it a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

im on and this is a good fish, im fishing 20kg braid with around 5kilo of drag and this thing is heading up stream at a high rate of knots, Bruiser says to me as he allways does when I hook a solid fish 'hey those bream fight hard don't they' which isn't a bad thing to say as it makes you laugh and calm down a little. I then settle in for the fight and around 15min later here she comes a nice big silver slab, Bruiser sinks the gaff in behind the gills and a bit of a yeeehaaa and a hand shake and this baby is boated, it measured 1.39m and weighed on the Berkley digital scales at exactly 26kg a little bit bigger than the last one I got making it my new PB Jew.

Hope you all enjoyed the read tight lines all Stu :biggrinthumb:

P.S I have included a knife (and its a Berkely Knife) in the photo and would like to enter it into Sept Catch of the month, Please vote this is my third or fourth Attempt lol

post-8874-0-97061900-1378609739_thumb.jpg

Great fish and a great read.

Those jews have a way of showing up just when you think its all over hey. I fished the Clyde earlier this year for an all nighter with not a touch all night. Once the sun started to rise i decided it was time to start making a coffee and cook up some eggs on toast. This is in just a standard 6m half cab. So with 2 gas cookers going next minute all hell breaks lose and over a few minutes every rod gets hit by solid jews. Crazy.

Dave