Blackfish burley tip

DanRob

Hi raiders,

With very little time to fish at the moment I've been heading over to the rocks around Clifton gardens for a quick 1hr session of throwing a squid jig/ plastics. Not a huge success.

Last weekend while throwing a squid jig I was watching thumper blackfish at my feet grazing around the rocks.

I have seen a fantastic post on this forum about weed flies for blackfish so I made a few to try out next time I see them again.

What I would like to know is what good forms of burley do people use to keep the blackfish around especially if there isn't weed on the rocks to mush up?

Any help to catch on of these would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

My two bobs worth? Blackfish burley without weed aint blackfish burley. I always use finely chopped weed and a little bread to fill it out. I would think that the weed is the more crutial component, seeing that is the only actual bait they consistantly strike at. I dont know if they would resond to burley pellets or tuna oil. Give it a shot, all you can do is try.

Cheers

The burly mix we usualy use is chopped up weed and sand and make it a rich mix of weed to keep the blackies around. Before we start throwing burly in, we always check to see which way the drift is going for our floats then chuck a couple of scoops in up past our floats so it keeps our floats in the strike zone with the drift. If you chuck the burly down past the float you end up taking the fish away from the strike zone. When burlying, don't throw to much in, just enough to keep them interested maybe a couple of scoops every 10mins or so.

• 2 weeks later...