Will this yak be the death of me?

elferoz777

I have been browsing online shop and gumtree and found this fellow who sells near where I live.

Not knowing much about yaks and reading other posts I get that a good second hand yak is better than a cheap new one.

At $ 400 this one is quite tempting.

I am just wondering if anyone can see anything in this that would lead them to think its a bad buy?

I am planning to go in lake illawarra, mullet creek and about 200 meters off shore around Bulli and Woonona on glassy days....Port Kembla inner harbour might be on the cards also.

Thanks

El Feroz

post-21984-0-22514800-1379508132_thumb.jpeg

Hi Mate,

The only thing that i found with those type is they were a bit narrow and hurt the hips after a couple of hours, i then bought a Fish Bandit which was just a little wider but never hurt the hips.

Funny thing is they might look the same size but different design i think.

My best tip is to TRY IT before your buy it - WITH rod & lures in hand! It is the only way to see how a yak suits you. It is all about safety - your size & weight could also be an infuence. It is essential that you feel safe & secure in the yak - and that it is not tippy - particularly if you go offshore. You may only plan on going out on glassy days, but weather changes in a second & you could be coming back in a raging sea!

If going offshore, to be honest - a longer yak is better - the short ones (3m or thereabouts) bounce from wave to wave making for an uncomfortable ride sometimes, where as the 4m+ yaks slice thru the waves, giving a much more comfortable & safer ride. I have been offshore a few times in my 3m Hobie Sport - but stick to estuaries, lakes & dams now.

cheers

Roberta

Go down to your local waterways on the weekends & see if you can spot any yak fishos - they are usually only too happy to show off their yaks & may even allow you to try it! :)