Drifting offshore reefs

tasksta

Hi folks

After years of fishing the estuary im finally able to head offshore. Im curious as to the technique to drift offshore reefs? Mainly in broken bay.

I have had great success drifting paternoster rigs for offshore flatties but surely the same process will snag up on the reef?

Cheers

Paul

Drifting the edges works well but we mainly watch the sounder to ID reef and drop back less to avoid hanging up on the bottom. Still hang up a few times but fishing with a longer longer lighter dropper to the snapper lead helps as well. Practice makes it all a bit easier.

Good luck

Cheers

Marlin

I know with the flatties if your an inch off the bottom your not fishing. Is it as critical to be on the bottom for mowies, nannies etc? I would think a paternoster rig must look like crap floating mid water?

Thanks

Taksta,

Flatties will rise to a bait or lure off the bottom. Off shore I use a snapper sinker on the bottom and 2 droppers above, the top one about 1 metre above the sinker, and quite often I will catch a flattie on the top dropper and not the bottom one.

Several times outside, I have had a flattie swim up from the bottom with other hooked fish right to the surface, drop over a bait and hook the free swimming flattie.

Nothing wrong with a paternoster rig drifting outside.