Plans Are Afoot!

Guest Jocool

Guest Jocool

Is it just me, or does everyone get addicted to adding stuff too their boat? :wacko:

Now that I have gotten her back, and trialed it with MarkD as ballast, :074: I have been thinking about adding things to her. Most of the stuff I'm thinking about is relatively easy and do-able from my point of view. One that will be a bit more difficult, and I will explain why, is a set of outriggers.

Now before anyone scoffs, this is only an idea at this stage, and I very well may never put them to use. :074: But as you know, we must plan for these things.

Originally I was thinking of having a T-Top fitted over the console. But I don't see it as being very practical for me. I still use my boat for a lot of casting and with a T-Top, it will interfere with that. I know it would be nice to have some sun-protection, but I have plenty of caps and sun-block to do that.

Now during my time with Mark, and I swear we only had a beer each, :1prop: we discussed the possibility of adding a small SS frame over the console, much like an arch, just to hold the riggers. This would be at the front edge of the console and not intrude into the boat whatsoever. This would still allow 100% movement around the boat and the riggers would be removable obviously, while the arch could be a permanent fixture, yet still not be in the way.

Added to the arch would be a spot to throw up a rod or two for either shotgun duty, or just for storage.

Am I making sense, or just it all sound too hard???? :wacko::wacko:

Guest Jocool

I just re-read my post and it makes perfect sense to me! :tease: But I will try and doctor some pictures of my boat to help explain what I mean!

My drawing is a bit crappy, but I think it shows what I mean!

Edited by Jocool

Edit: i like it  :thumbup:  but wouldnt they sway alot more being so close to the center line?

62161[/snapback]

I thought nearer the centre line would create less sway - if a boat is rocking from side to side the outer extremeties (the gunwales) are going to be moving up and down a lot more then the centre as this is closer to the axis of movement.

Great idea!! I was thinking the same for my centre console, but I think if I drilled one more hole into mine, it would fall apart - go for it!!

Guest bluecod

Joe,

One thing the arch would do and that would be to provide some grab rails around the cockpit, an item that I had noticed had been overlooked :tease:

I can see where you're going with your pocket game boat, just keep in mind that when a rigger goes off there is tremendous pressure exerted on the rigger bases and the structural integrity of your console might come into play if the wedding .....er rod arch is attached directly to it. Over time the flexing that you will get, may start to crack welds resulting in a rig failure when you least want it.

If you will be fishing four or five rods on the troll then you will want lure separation by using long outrigger poles, however it is much more likely that you will be only fishing two people and possibly only three rods, which is probably enough of a handful particularly if you get a double hook-up on stripes. Therefore you can probably get away with shorter poles

There are other drawbacks to long poles, such as storage at home and for road transportation - you should be able to fit them on the floor of your boat so they don't bounce around too much.

The other issue with long poles is fishability. The wash produced by your boat is essentially the zone in which you will be running surface lures. If you're running lures outside the wash you will be minimising the strike rate. If the poles are too long they may well cause your release clips to hang too far back behind the boat or be too elevated.

Personally I would be putting the arch in, but only for rod storage and to provide grab rails. The outriggers I would be gunwhale mounting level with the console [so they can be observed] and using shorter poles say 10 or 12 feet long that could also be stored underneath the gunwhales in clips/racks when not in use.

Guest hottuna
Is it just me, or does everyone get addicted to adding stuff too their boat? :wacko:

Now that I have gotten her back, and trialed it with MarkD as ballast, :074: I have been thinking about adding things to her. Most of the stuff I'm thinking about is relatively easy and do-able from my point of view. One that will be a bit more difficult, and I will explain why, is a set of outriggers.

Now before anyone scoffs, this is only an idea at this stage, and I very well may never put them to use. :074: But as you know, we must plan for these things.

Originally I was thinking of having a T-Top fitted over the console. But I don't see it as being very practical for me. I still use my boat for a lot of casting and with a T-Top, it will interfere with that. I know it would be nice to have some sun-protection, but I have plenty of caps and sun-block to do that.

Now during my time with Mark, and I swear we only had a beer each, :1prop: we discussed the possibility of adding a small SS frame over the console, much like an arch, just to hold the riggers. This would be at the front edge of the console and not intrude into the boat whatsoever. This would still allow 100% movement around the boat and the riggers would be removable obviously, while the arch could be a permanent fixture, yet still not be in the way.

Added to the arch would be a spot to throw up a rod or two for either shotgun duty, or just for storage.

Am I making sense, or just it all sound too hard???? :wacko:  :wacko:

62156[/snapback]

YOU CAN`T USE OUTRIGGERS IN SYDNEY HARBOUR... :074:

DAN

holey blurters Jo, no grab rails???

My centre console would be death without something to grab when I hit a wake of a cruiser or big chop at speed! Do you have velcro on your shoes? What does everyone hold onto - their life jacket and an EPIRB :074::074:

Guest Jocool
Joe,

One thing the arch would do and that would be to provide some grab rails around the cockpit, an item that I had noticed had been overlooked  :tease:

62182[/snapback]

Hasn't been overlooked at all George. :thumbup: Just haven't put them in yet.

Perhaps I should clarify...I wasn't thinking of mounting the arch to the console. It would be bolted down to the stringers below deck. I was thinking of getting it in 2-3 inch tube. The top section would have flanges on it so that it could be un-bolted and taken out and only leave bars below the console itself.

As for you Dan....You'll keep! :risata::risata:

Guest bluecod
Hasn't been overlooked at all George.  :thumbup: Just haven't put them in yet.

62192[/snapback]

Jeez Joe, you've had the boat back for five days now - Why's it taking so long? :1prop:

Joe if your sole reason for getting riggers is to simply spread the lures a bit wider then I reckon they are probably not required. You can troll 6 six lures quite easily without tangles on a small boat and if you have angled rod holders out the side even better. The riggers in my opinion are more important when it comes to getting the lure's leader out of the water so that the lures are running nicely. I have seen boats smaller than yours such as Markham Whalers with riggers and they work well. Some 11ft poles with reelax bases would be the go, your system sounds fine and I reckon you could even weld a couple of rod holders on the frame as well.

theres always the option of telescopic riggers that you can put down and out of the way when not needed.

outriggers make the boat look sexy anyway even if you dont use them :)

you could even use a couple of stiff rod blanks depending on what sort of weight you will run off them.

a mate of mine runs riggers like you have shown and has no problems in his 4.45m quinnie.

also with that mounting if you decide to slow troll a live bonito or something you can stiffen your riggers by having a shock cord from the rigger to your gunnel

Edited by djmac

G'day Joe

The way you describe the outriggers you want are pretty well the way I have mine set up.

I got a set of light telescopic outriggers and fitted a length of stainless pipe with a 20 odd degree bend and then cut slots in the end of the pipe to match the mount of a set of rod holders I got from Whitworths. These rod holders are quite substantial stainless steel rail mount holders with an adjustable angle. I then attached these to the console frame.

If you go back to the Pics of the basin social, there is a picture of the Pogoboat with its outriggers on.

The telescopic outriggers work well because I can fit them under the gunwhales if I think I might need them, If I think I am going to use them I put them into them rod holders in their collapsed state. (thats the way they are in the photo) and extend them when I use them, this is good because it means that they are not waving around fully extended when running to and from fishing spots. Also the rod holders are used like a rocket launcher style rod rack when not having the outriggers in, (you might be able to see them being used like that in the picture from the salmon day where we are putting the flag on.)

If you want some more detailed pics or a look at the waythe pogoboat is set up, drop me a line.

Hi Joe

I was thinking of doing the same on my Console, but in the end opted to buy the stainless steal outrigger fittings (around $100 each at Bias).. with the thought of buying the poles later. I mounted the fittings on the sides of the boat, near level with the console. (if i find a pic then I will send it too you)

These ended up being a god send as you can adjust them any angle for trolling or bottom bashing,

In the end I didn't end up getting the poles that slide into them as I went for two big beach rods which tend to do the trick just fine.

The other advantage is when you do hit that wake at 20 knots, you have one last thing to grab for as you fly out the side!!!!