Throwing SP's in Port Stephens

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

After what was a disappointing trip to black head, I was in serious need to get a bent rod so I decided to head out this morning with a mate in our yaks throwing some SP's. We got to our location at tillagerry creek about 630 and launched the yaks. It was half way on the outgoing tide and I was really looking forward to trying out my new gopro!

My mate was using hard bodies over the racks and I was fishing the fringes with SP's, my weapon of choice was a 3inch nuclear swimming mullet. After 3 casts, I lost 3 tails to some tailor and decided to move. I persisted with this sp for a while but no takers. Then as the tide was falling I changed to a 3inch minnow in pilchard and instant success, up came a nice 36cm flatty. I released it to fight another day. I then looked at my gopro and realised that it had run out of memory which was a shame because the next hour I was on fish after fish. (Note to self...Need a bigger memory card).

The biggest one I got today was a great fight steering me around the racks and tangling me twice but with some persistence and the strength of my 8lb Fluro Carbon leader,I managed to get him in the clear and went a good 70cm. At the side of the yak, he was generous enough to hand me back my lure as I waved him goodbye.

Dropped a few, released a few but kept 4 for the table, all brothers at 45cm.

Great morning on the water until the wind kicked up and it was time to come home!

Thanks for reading!

post-24974-0-79399200-1381707175_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-10298200-1381707219_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-62114100-1381707278_thumb.jpg

Cheers scratchie!!!

Edited by Scratchie

The 70cm model would have beenhellish around the racks, sounds like a great session! I did the same with my GoPro last week, took it out with my SD card left back in the laptop at home...couldn't work out why it kept turning itself off!

Good morning out....any action on the surface for your mate?

Yeah, he got a nice bream and a couple of flatty. But I think my sp won the day. Would have liked to spent a bit more time in the water but with the weather the way it is up here is scary!

Good work Jeff. There's no keeping you away from the big ones., racks or no racks. Good photos too. If tailor are chopping off too many tails, throw down some Z-mans.

It's alright Pete, I'll be giving the tips from now on! Lol. I tell you something, a yak would be a good and inexpensive alternative fishing method that you would love! You can't use bait from them (not really) and being at low level is a great way to fight the fish!

Cheers scratchie!!!

The 70cm model would have beenhellish around the racks, sounds like a great session! I did the same with my GoPro last week, took it out with my SD card left back in the laptop at home...couldn't work out why it kept turning itself off!

It was certainly a challenge. My mate said I dropped it, but me and the fish had a great repore and we agreed he should give me back the lure.

As for the gopro, my eldest boy(13)is teaching me. I'll be fine in a year! :)

Great session Sratchie you're in fine form at the moment with good catches all round!

Well done a good bag of quality fish and congratulations on landing that 70cm specimen in nasty terrain.

Keep up the terrific work.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

Form is only down to the hours spent on the water. I spend quite a bit of time but yeah I do make the most of it. I'm chasing Jews again this weekend, so watch this space!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Good stuff man looks like your having a ball on the yak.oh gotta love petes pointers ay i realised today that all this time he's been rigging his softies upside down

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Thanks mate. Love the yak! It's a great way to fish and yeah Pete's tips are invaluable! To be honest, he is the reason I started using them!

Top stuff. Fishing the yak in the racks has got to be good fun! I know I get towed enough fishing flats in the canoe I can only think about how much fun it would be in the racks.

Thanks. Fishing racks is a challenge like no other. It's probably the same as fishing under 10 jettys side by side! The obstacles are visible yet your control is very limited. Love the challenge!

Good stuff man looks like your having a ball on the yak.oh gotta love petes pointers ay i realised today that all this time he's been rigging his softies upside down

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Ben, I have a theory for it, plus that is one of my secrets to getting more bream!

Thanks mate. Love the yak! It's a great way to fish and yeah Pete's tips are invaluable! To be honest, he is the reason I started using them!

Thanks, but it's all you Jeff! Looking forward to more of your reports once the fires get soughted. Here's hoping that our sunburnt country can pull through with minimal damage.

Edited by nbdshroom

• 3 weeks later...

Great stuff! Do you mind if I ask what weight jigheads you were using? it looks like it might be as bit as 1/6th oz but I would have thought that was too heavy! Haha congratulations on a great day's fishing! :banana::clapping::047::thumbup: