Salmon/Tailor surf rig

Paul997

I'm heading to garie beach some time soon and I'll probably be targeting salmon & tailor and I wanted your opinions on what rig I should be using. Also some people say its better to use a light sinker on surf beaches to let your bait drift along the gutter is this true.

Paul

I use a 5 hook sabiki type rig with chunks of squid using anything from a 120g to 170g sinker like below - good success... usually 3-4 fish a trip, don't need to wait for bites as they smash these hard and hook themselves.

Sabiki_rig.jpg

My favourite beach rig is:

- mainline to swivel

- leader to triple ganged hook

- with small running sinker down to hook

This rig lets the pilchard roll around in the surf. The sole purpose of the sinker is for some sort of resistance whilst retrieving if the pilchard has been removed from the hook.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

I also like fishingphase's rig unless I'm not fishing alone in which case my sinker would be heavier to avoid cross lines. I sometimes use a single twisted dropper loop paternoster rig if I want the bait to be away from the bottom.

Paternoster with 2 droppers with either 4/0 circle hooks or 3 or 4 ganged 3/0 with 3oz star sinker. A very effective rig for salmon & taillor with some great flatties as by catch

Edited by kingys what kingys?

Hi Paul,

If you're specifically targeting salmon/tailor, I'd also recommend a paternoster with 2 droppers. The top dropper though I would attach a surf popper (perhaps with or without some bait attached) and the bottom dropper either with ganged hooks and a half/whole pilchard. I use star sinkers in the surf, and anything from 1-4ozs depending on conditions.

I would not use the sabiki rig as suggested above however. As I understand it, NSW regulations only allow a maximum of 3 baited hooks per line (those 5-6 hook sabiki jigs can only be used without bait). Of course you can always cut those rigs in half and bait them up...

like most people have said try a paternoster rig with a surf popper on top and a gang hooks on the bottom (for a pillie or squid strip) then a size 2-4 star sinker. It's illegal to have more then 3 singles or sets of hooks on a line and just too complicated to have 5 singles or sets on the beach. I usually don't bait the popper so it flutters more when washed around. Dynamite rig for sambos and tailor. You can buy them pre-made and you just attach the sinker and baits.

Definitely the Paternoster! Get a much better cast as the weight is at the end of the rig.
If braid i join my braid to leader, then connect to a swivel, then 2 dropper loops spaced apart and a star sinker on the end.

I generally go a surf popper on one dropper, and a 6/0 hook on the other with half a pillie. or two 6/0s or gang hooks etc.

The beauty is its very easy to change.

Also get some salted pillies or salt your own, stay on much better!

• 2 weeks later...

I was having trouble getting the pillies to stay on the hook. So I started making the traces a ittle longer and putting to half hitches arround the tail if you have them head down. If you have them head up make sure the last hook goes through the eye.

I'd go with the Patenoster in the surf to. Running ledger if its calm would be worth a shot, like fishingphase suggested. :)

Always used paternoster or running sinker to swivel to gangs. Reckon half or whole pillies are the go? Also, head up or head down? The half hitches on the tail really help I agree Pomey! So much more stable in the surf! Also a larger star sinker for either rig, I prefer it to stay put. Anyone swear by letting it drift more?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Always used paternoster or running sinker to swivel to gangs. Reckon half or whole pillies are the go? Also, head up or head down? The half hitches on the tail really help I agree Pomey! So much more stable in the surf! Also a larger star sinker for either rig, I prefer it to stay put. Anyone swear by letting it drift more?Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

I usually like a bit of drift as it adds to the action of the baits. If there's not much swell then drift is better than set. I usually start as light as possible and if the rig isn't washed in or to the side too much stick with it, or upgrade enough so it just holds the bottom with a bit of movement. Too much movement and you run the risk of tangling up a paternoster. If just using a running sinker I like a lot more movement so start much lighter than I would with a star sinker. I usually take star sizes 2-5 and generally settle on a 3 in most situations; with a ball, bean, spoon I usually have a few between 1 and 8. For salmon and tailor in small to moderate swell I like a size 4 bean, it gets good movement.

As far as baits pillies are great all rounders, however, a box of the blue Lunds Cali squid can be pretty tempting for most species of fish as well. Can use them whole on a gang or 2 hook rig, a 3 or 4/0 pinned through the tip of the hood and a 1 or 2/0 between the eyes. Also you can strip them as smaller baits. Just remember to clean out your bait box/bag of any squid, because week old pillies small rank but week old squid is another sensory experience altogether; it's almost like physical blow! Hahaha...