Surf gutters, please help!

krause

Hi all,

Over the last few months ive taken to beach fishing and I strongly beleive I can identify a gutter, channel, hole and all the structure one should look for. Yesterday I was at werri beach and it had an excellent gutter. It followed close to the shore and then ran out to sea. The top water was retreating quickly toward the ocean. But when I cast into it, i was washed into and allong the beach. Obviously the bottom water strata was going the opposite way. Which made things annoying. So I followed the gutter, trying to find an exit point, but there was none. It eventually just disipated into a sand bank. Thoughts?

I think the fish were a little further out in the gutter as thats were I caught the two salmon of the day, and lost baits. But I couldnt keep it there, even with a bung load of lead on the end. So i guess does anyone know what i can do to help keep it out there, or how to find the missing exit point (all that water has to go somewhere right?)?

Also I tend to use ganged pillies. Would small squid or something; a) have less resistant and stay in one spot?

B) be a good bait for bream and whiting?

I think prawns are to soft to be lumping out into the surf, i loose them on the casts. So does anyone have advice for bait for more bread and butter speices, or even tailor(havent caught a single tailor of the beach yet)?

Cheers

Also Werri beach in Gerringong is fishing quite well for salmon atm! Just thought id be usefull and report that :D

When I can't have anything stay in one place, I use a 2oz or 3oz breakaway (spider?) sinker and if needed add a 1 to 2oz ball sinker above it to help the wires angle down towards the bottom.

The bigger the bait the more it will pull on the sinker too.

I find worms to stay better than prawns and they are better bait anyway. There is a great long post about beach worming technique.

Beaches can be a challenge as often what you see on the surface, is, as you say, not necessarily what happens below. Agree, smaller sized baits like worms help but if you want to use say, pillies, salted are good or use the bait twine - an elasticised material that you wrap around the bait and will hold things in place and doesn't seem to affect the presentation as fish seem to still go for it .

• 2 weeks later...

If ur targetting the bread and butter species in the surf, i wouldnt be using star sinkers and anchoring your baig in one spot of the gutter, or elsewhere. Use long leader, size 2-4 baitholder and a running ball sinker (size depending on swell, and obviously if swell is too rough it becomes much harder) and a fresh prawn for bait, this will get bream,, if u want whiting use worm hook, abd beach worms, tube worm etc... and same set up. Let your rig move around, not just in the gutter. Cast out into the gutter and let your rig move wherever it wants to go, and manage your line. If it comes back to the bank, reel back in and cast it out again.

Keep moving around and cover ground. Holding to one spot for bread and butter species will just limit your time in the 'zone'

When beach fishing i always look for gutters and holes and target them first, if i cant get what im targetting for i always move.

When starting beach fishing i used to whack on a big star sinker and patternoster gang pilly, and aim it into the gutters, at times ill get the fish, but i used to spend hours with bait in the gutter only to hook onto nothing.

Move around, youll find fish better.

If ur targetting the bread and butter species in the surf, i wouldnt be using star sinkers and anchoring your baig in one spot of the gutter, or elsewhere. Use long leader, size 2-4 baitholder and a running ball sinker (size depending on swell, and obviously if swell is too rough it becomes much harder) and a fresh prawn for bait, this will get bream,, if u want whiting use worm hook, abd beach worms, tube worm etc... and same set up. Let your rig move around, not just in the gutter. Cast out into the gutter and let your rig move wherever it wants to go, and manage your line. If it comes back to the bank, reel back in and cast it out again.

Keep moving around and cover ground. Holding to one spot for bread and butter species will just limit your time in the 'zone'

When beach fishing i always look for gutters and holes and target them first, if i cant get what im targetting for i always move.

When starting beach fishing i used to whack on a big star sinker and patternoster gang pilly, and aim it into the gutters, at times ill get the fish, but i used to spend hours with bait in the gutter only to hook onto nothing.

Move around, youll find fish better.

Intersting take, ill give it a go. That final statment about pillies and waiting is a pretty realistic view. Might just take one rod and some bait and go for a walk, see what happen.

Cheers

Stanwell is amorphous at the moment. On tuesday there was an excellent rip/gutter that fished really well, yet when i returned yesterday the swim flags were set up where the gutter used to be and the beach was lacking structure. I fished the middle gutter (want great) and out fished the fellas at the north and south gutters. Yet when I say out fished I mean one salmon and some small tailor verses their one salmon. Tell us how you go.

Cheers

Hey,

I'm no expert but what has worked for me is leaving one rod with a paternoster rig with a ganged pilli sitting in the gutter and being active with a lighter set up (letting it move with the current etc) where I've landed a dart fish, bream, salmon, tailor. Most memorable moment was falling asleep on the beach (Mungo brush) as we were camping and being woken up by my mates saying that my line was screaming. Pulled up a nice Salmon. Was a great feeling catching fish in my sleep!

No idea about baits though but reading up on here had some great information.

post-32249-0-25223200-1383312083_thumb.jpg