Getting Blood Worms

Paikea

When I was a fair bit younger my father in law and I used to go down to the mud flats at Salt Pan Creek near Milperra and dig for Bloodworms. He was an Ace at getting them and a top bloke. Pity his daughter (my first wife) did not match.

I have not seen anyone digging there for years, is it banned?

And does anyone know if you can get Bloodworms among the mangroves?

And finally has anyone discovered an easy way to get Bloodworms (other than buying them)

Cheers

Paikea

I think that it is because you have to use spades and/or Garden forks to destroy the river side mud flats to access the blood worms, which is the home of other critters as well. The destruction of these mud flats makes erosion worse, so it was banned.

Maybe, Learn how to catch Beach Worms - heaps of fun, no destruction of habitat & damn good live baits!

cheers
Roberta

From memory, a marine biologist on the central coast has been breeding bloodworms in captivity (they were the first in the world to crack the code) & you can buy live ones from some tackle shops. Not sure which ones tho!

Roberta

Roberta commented that "I think that it is because you have to use spades and/or Garden forks to destroy the river side mud flats to access the blood worms"

We used to use our hands to pull the mud back, never any tools, a very messy job guaranteed to cover you with mud and sometimes cut hands..

I agree that beachworms are great and I have managed to catch them from time to time however for estuary fishing the Bloodworms will out fish beachworms every time in my neck of the woods.

Interesting comment from Roberta re breeding them, I wonder how hard that would be?

Cheers

Paikea

Correct Roberta, the people breed and grow them at Eraring, they also supply the dried worm packets that you rehydrate, tried them also and they work a treat. I'm not sure IF these people will supply to public though, you'd have to buy bulk i think.

From memory, a marine biologist on the central coast has been breeding bloodworms in captivity (they were the first in the world to crack the code) & you can buy live ones from some tackle shops. Not sure which ones tho!

Roberta

Not a business plug but, A tackleshop in Long Jetty and one in The Entrance sell Live Bloodworms. Im sure a quick google can pinpoint them for you :)

We used to pump blood worms down the shoalhaven.

pump the mud straight into a sieve with an inner tube around it so that it floats.

we always pumped them in water about a foot deep.

And yes digging for them is not on, I was told the issue came to a head when a particular family decided to make a business out of it and left once productive banks barren and eroded.

• 2 months later...