Great day on the Bass today

mottyman

Hi guys and girls,

Another Bass report but our best day on the river so far. Lost count of the small Bass we caught, some only just bigger than lure. But... got a couple of nice ones over the 30cm mark which I was really happy with.

Surely some time soon I'll get a beast up around or over the 40's :icon_peace:

All bass were taken on Betts Spins and 2inch grubs or my "secret special lure" from the online store :mfr_lol:

Had a seriously great day today. If I only caught small Bass it would still be an awesome day... big or small, I just love catch'n fish! :banana:

Cheers

David.

post-237-0-41684400-1382862400_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-61045000-1382862471_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-05819500-1382862529_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-25055900-1382862596_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-36263800-1382862650_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-16066200-1382862702_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-10466100-1382862751_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-11990700-1382862827_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-36484000-1382862892_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-67629100-1382862944_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-07711100-1382863243_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-41562200-1382863339_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-57727300-1382863353_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-73480600-1382863363_thumb.jpg

Great work David. Those bass sure are aggressive little buggers. You seem to be really getting some good use out of that yak! I notice the smoke still about but it is a great stretch of water to paddle on! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

P.s what is that conduit off the side of your yak for?

Edited by Scratchie

Congrats mate.

It's great to see the new yak getting a workout & that

you're working the bass out.

There are horses in that river, but it is fished hard.

Once you really know an area try do a 3 a.m session in the dark

with some jitterbugs when the cicadas are singing.

That should do the trick!

Well done again.

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks everyone for the positive responses, I'm having a ball and the Yak is getting a good workout. Has some scratches and dings from clambering through the shallow stuff now so it looks like its seen some work as well :-)

Great work David. Those bass sure are aggressive little buggers. You seem to be really getting some good use out of that yak! I notice the smoke still about but it is a great stretch of water to paddle on! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

P.s what is that conduit off the side of your yak for?

Scratchie, the conduit off the side of the yak holds the transducer for my sounder. It sits in the rod holder and has an alloy plate on the bottom that I have the transducer bracket bolted to. I wasn't really sure about mounting it inside the yak on a big glob of silicone so did that instead. Once the water gets shallow I just lean forward and take it out, put it on the front till i'm back in the deeper water and then stick it back in again. Works pretty well and I get nice readings off the sounder so pretty happy with it.

Hey mottyman I just bought the same kayak as you and im thinking about maybe adding a fish finder. I like the conduit idea. What model have you got? Any chance you could post pics of how you mounted it?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Hey mottyman I just bought the same kayak as you and im thinking about maybe adding a fish finder. I like the conduit idea. What model have you got? Any chance you could post pics of how you mounted it?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Hey Pazza,

Yeah, I've got a few pics but not sure how well they show the mounting. I can't seem to find a way to put them in this reply post so I'll post them in the Yak section in a new thread for you to see.

I've got a Lowarance X4. It's really good and went for that because of the clarity of the screen. The rest of the specs were pretty much the same as all the other sounders from other manufactures. I also got this one as the sounder unit itself is quite compact and fit the space nicely where I wanted it to go.

I've mounted it over the drink bottle chanel in the middle of the yak just in front of the seat and behind the swivel rod holder. Its a great position as its easy to see and use from there.

I went to JayCar electronics and bought a small metal plate for $4 to screw to the yak and then mount the sounder base on.

The PVC pipe came from bunnings. I put a bolt through the rod holder to use as a gymble style stop for he pvc pipe so it doesn't move around and cut a slot in the pipe to fit over the bolt. A tip, don't glue your pipe until you fit it over the bolt and have all the angles correct. I nearly did and would have been starting again.

I then mounted the transducer bracket off the bottom of the pipe with a bit of aluminium and i tied the extra cable together with cable ties and it sits around the base of the swivel rod holder in the front to keep it neat(ish) and out of the way.

Battery box is a tupperware container siliconed in the back and the battery cables run through the seat saddles on the side of the yak.

In all it works very well with very minimal hole drilling. I only had to drill two small holes to secure the plate for the sounder base. Nowhere else.

David.

As the Sargent Baker record holder you make a great Bass fisho....lol.

Any luck on the surface lures, maybe trying something different might bring the big boys out to play? Or even some spinners baits deep in the timber?

Had a couple of hits on surface lures but no hookups, there were still a bit tentative, not smashing the lure if you know what I mean.

All of these fish were taken on chubby divers (black and gold in the pics) or on spinner baits bumped through the snags and timber as you say.

Hopefully the surface bite will come on soon. Nothing better than a fat bass smashing a suface lure in tight against the bank and then trying to pull the buggar out!!! :-)