Down Rigging Suggestions

Brocky0984

Hi All

This summer I really want to get out there and get into the kingies. In fact I am determined to get one over 85cm this year. To that end I am currently looking at downriggers for my 4.5m runabout and just would like to get you guys opinions on what I should be shopping for.

Basically I am looking for something that I can use alone out on the water that is relatively foolproof to use. Generally I will be fishing alone so I guess I am asking if I need motorised one or will a manual do the job. I generally only fish within Sydney harbour unless it is really calm and then I might poke my head out the heads or launch off Longreaf if I have a buddy with me.

So what do you guys in the downrigging community suggest?

Cheers

Brocky

Just get a manual one. they are cheaper and easy to quickly put in and out of you boat. they are easy to use by yourself once you get a system going. I have a 4.55m boat and run a scotty 1080. its fine, i have put 200lb braid on it and use a 10lb bomb for more control.

I'm also tempted to get myself a downrigger though I'm not keen on permanently mounting a plate on the side of the boat for it, I've heard there are some that just sit in the build in rod holders in the back of the boat, has anyone seen/tried these?

Brocky, from the research I've done, a manual unit will be fine for your (any my) needs.

Guest Aussie007

ive owned this downrigger for about 4 years now and had it in several boats this is how i mounted it in a small 3.75m tinny

Picture011.jpg

Picture010-1.jpg

Guest Aussie007

Had my eye on a Eco Kayak Mini Downrigger.

They are supposedly designed for a kayak but at $50 is in my price range.

Will have to go have a closer look at one.

holly cow thats cheap i just googled them, looks like my second downrigger mine was a attwood cost about $150 years ago when downriggers were starting to be used alot, i think that $50 DR will only hold about a 1-2lb bomb

as mentioned you need a stainless or heavey duty aluminium rod holder you also need a backing plate on the under side off the rod holder because most factory fitted rod holders are held in with screws not strong at all they need to be bolted in with counter sunk stainless bolts with nylock nut and washers

we used to make stainless rod holder (i think i have a few left} but there are plenty off good ones on the market and we can't compeat with the price

now the mount;we still make the mounts that slip into rod holders you have to work out weather your going to run the downrigger out the back or out the side i have even made a few with a mount that goes back towards the cab with a rod holder passing through the mount plate so your rod is facing the rear

now just a note if your going to drag hoodys away from structure with locked up reels the mount on most down riggers will fail and you loose everything my two are mounted out the sides and i've snapped the rod holder off one on a meter plus king in sydney cheers gary

The Scotty 1050 comes with slide in mount. I bolted it to the gunwale on a piece of PVC chopping board. It is rock solid and slides right out when not in use. For 150 delivered its hard to beat i think.

Where from?

Edited by Cheap Charlie