Are kings the most frustrating?

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

This morning looked liked a really nice morning to go and throw some SP's and hard bodies. No wind and nice tide. I arrived at 6am with no one in sight at the end of the wall and there were fish smashing up everywhere!

Anyway, I threw everything at them except for a stick of dynamite and only managed one hook up that was quickly spat back at me!

It was so frustrating to cast lures into a frenzy of kings and not get a hook up. I matched the hatch, with SP's and lures, used different techniques and only managed 1 take but countless follows.

Could I have done anything differently?

And have many people encounted this?

Mind you, landing one on my 6lb gear would have been a challenge.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Yeh +1 on the unweighted pillie. Sometimes they can be fussy/cautious and wont want to commit to the lure.

Happened alot of time to me, see a bunch of kings in close off the rocks and throw everything at them and they don't wanna commit to it. A simple pilchard lobbed in and instant hookup.

Hey mate happen to me before threw 20 different plastics at them wouldn take anything me cousin decided to throw an unweighted pillie at them and bang we were on got 2 than school disappered also another time the pillies didn work and tried slimy mac fillets and tht did the trick

I've caught them with bait, trolling lures and livies. My problem was I only took my SP's bag! I changed so many tactics and really though about what I was doing. Very very frustrating but don't worry, you'll see a kingy report shortly. I'm determined!

Yes they can be frustrating.

Many years ago fishing "the Banks" down the coast in a markham whaler we had 10 to 15 10kg kingies decide the best place to spend the morning was hard up between the twin hulls of our boat.

They would come out and headbutt our livies but could not get a serious reaction out of them. After a hour or so we gave up and began bottom bashing. They would charge out and harass our hooked fish but could not get a bite.

On another more recent trip of Sydney we were throwing plastics at rats, my every effort with different retrieves and plastics drew nill.

My beginner mate however was braining them just dead sticking his SPs. I began casting lightly weighted flickbaits and just let them sink for two hits straight up before the school decided they had some where else to be.

Just when you think you have tried everything, try some thing else.

Mate if they aren't taking lures flicked through them with a steady retrieve flick one in there and bring it back on a very jerky erratic retrieve like a wounded baitfish. If they are following the lure they are watching it and wondering to strike or not but if you make it erratic that quickly brings them into a "hello this lunch isn't going anywhere fast... best smash it" kind of approach. The retrieve makes all the difference. Good luck bud.

Mate if they aren't taking lures flicked through them with a steady retrieve flick one in there and bring it back on a very jerky erratic retrieve like a wounded baitfish. If they are following the lure they are watching it and wondering to strike or not but if you make it erratic that quickly brings them into a "hello this lunch isn't going anywhere fast... best smash it" kind of approach. The retrieve makes all the difference. Good luck bud.

Yep. Tried that luc. As I said, I really thought about what I was doing. I think in this instance, I just needed some bait! :(

Sebile ( I think! ) make a a surface plastic that they are suckers for.

I've seen them do cartwheels over a plastic skittering across

the surface when all else was ignored.

Another thing is more SPEED. That can be hard to achieve on a

small reel but sometimes your retrieve needs to be very fast!

Cheers,

Grant.

Guest Aussie007

kings were on in BB yesterday at the break wall, wouldnt touch the yakkas we had out a livie but smashed a ring of arrow squid, i find squid works the best just be patient and freshly caught bait is killer bait!

Hey Jeff, sounds like you tried a variety of plastics and retrieves so I'd assume you had that side covered. Were they Gulps or other plastics? Sometimes when a fish follows a lure and doesn't take it, I throw on a bit of scent (such as S factor) to get them to commit. If they are tail biting, I throw down some hardbodies because the terminal treble will get them hooked up. If you managed one hookup and countless follows, I would guess they were interested and just needed just that tiny bit more encouragement to get a taste of your lure. Good luck mate.

Edited by nbdshroom

Hey Jeff, sounds like you tried a variety of plastics and retrieves so I'd assume you had that side covered. Were they Gulps or other plastics? Sometimes when a fish follows a lure and doesn't take it, I throw on a bit of scent (such as S factor) to get them to commit. If they are tail biting, I throw down some hardbodies because the terminal treble will get them hooked up. If you managed one hookup and countless follows, I would guess they were interested and just needed just that tiny bit more encouragement to get a taste of your lure. Good luck mate.

Hey Pete, I used sfactor and hardies matching the hatch, mate everything. This went on for 2 hours so I had plenty of time to think about it. I think this was a case where I needed some bait. It is still playing on my mind now and all bloody day!

This is the first trip ever, that I haven't caught a fish and there was hundreds of the bastards at my feet! Grrrrrrrrr!

Guest mike2153

Mate ive had the same problem with the salmon in sydney harbour sometimes they just dont want to eat. I once was fishing in a Barra dam with big barra small barra and every size in between, i was there for two hours fishing with all different barra lures, retrivals, and bait and i couldnt even get one to follow, the lure would just go over the top of there head. Sometimes there on and sometimes there not unfortunatly.

G'day raiders,

This morning looked liked a really nice morning to go and throw some SP's and hard bodies. No wind and nice tide. I arrived at 6am with no one in sight at the end of the wall and there were fish smashing up everywhere!

Anyway, I threw everything at them except for a stick of dynamite and only managed one hook up that was quickly spat back at me!

It was so frustrating to cast lures into a frenzy of kings and not get a hook up. I matched the hatch, with SP's and lures, used different techniques and only managed 1 take but countless follows.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hi mate. I come across this all the time with various surface feeders. The best thing I have found is a stick bait retrieved slow to medium speed. The key is it must be unweighted. Try about a six or seven inch stick bait with a worm hook and NO WEIGHT. Test the plastic runs true and straight through the water before casting out.

Most people won't use these because its too hard to cast but use the wind and position your boat properly for maximum casting distance. You need a good rod and light line to cast these well also. It's kind of a whole system to get the best results. You will find they like to follow for a while before striking. If they continually get to the boat before they hook up then try trolling the plastics around the school. That way they can follow for longer and won't get turned off when they get to the boat. Troll slow too. You don't need a lot of speed.

Mate ive had the same problem with the salmon in sydney harbour sometimes they just dont want to eat. I once was fishing in a Barra dam with big barra small barra and every size in between, i was there for two hours fishing with all different barra lures, retrivals, and bait and i couldnt even get one to follow, the lure would just go over the top of there head. Sometimes there on and sometimes there not unfortunatly.

Hey mike,

Never had that problem with sambos ever! With them if you match the hatch you'll always pick one up! Barra???? Sorry never caught one, seen plenty in tanks though. It's on my bucket list!

Just these bastards today were doing my head in! I'll work it out, don't worry! I'm still frustrated!

Hi mate. I come across this all the time with various surface feeders. The best thing I have found is a stick bait retrieved slow to medium speed. The key is it must be unweighted. Try about a six or seven inch stick bait with a worm hook and NO WEIGHT. Test the plastic runs true and straight through the water before casting out.

Most people won't use these because its too hard to cast but use the wind and position your boat properly for maximum casting distance. You need a good rod and light line to cast these well also. It's kind of a whole system to get the best results. You will find they like to follow for a while before striking. If they continually get to the boat before they hook up then try trolling the plastics around the school. That way they can follow for longer and won't get turned off when they get to the boat. Troll slow too. You don't need a lot of speed.

Hey mate,

Yes I threw stick baits at them too! I was land based so no trolling involved. I've caught many while trolling, lures and livies. It was just this one instance for 2 whole friggin hours that I couldn't get a hook up no matter what I did. The worst part was I had time to think of everything I could do to get a hook up but no joy!

How frustrating is that. Fish at your feet and no takes. Think I need to pay a visit to the break wall.. Lol. Fished there once but never had any luck.

Frustrating???? It's like playing a game of rugby league and every time you touch the ball you make 90m but get tackled just before the line.

I've had many of great sessions on that wall, especially bream and blackfish. Although you only generally have a certain window around tide changes! But this was for 2hrs!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd go a gulp 2 inch minnow in peppered prawn on the lightest jig you can deliver, less than 1g. no retrieve, slack line.

only action will be when you give more line with the bail arm open, bream style.

something will sip it down.

sometimes the best thing to do, is to do nothing!

G'day raiders,

Cheers scratchie!!!

Try these Scratchie, sometimes they work.

Drop a bit of burley into the water, and drop a small piece of bait in with the burley (squid strip, piece of fish fillet but not too big, on a small hook, about size 2) and let it sink. Sometimes the kingies will grab your bait, but you need to be quick to strike.

If the kingies are smart, they will not touch the sinking bait, so slowly jig it upwards. When the kingie swims up to it, pull the bait away quickly, but only a short distance. If the kingie swims back to the bait, pull it away quickly again, sometimes they will have a grab at it.

If that does not work, try a bit of burly but bounce the bait on the surface, lift it a short distance out of the water and drop it back onto the surface like a wounded small fish. Quite often they will have a grab.

Another way is to use a fillet of yellowtail, tailor, mackerel, about 10 to 15cm long. Cut some diagonal slashes across the flesh part, so the fillet looks a bit mangled, thread a hook, about size 2, into part of the fillet so that the hook is covered above the line, and drop the bait in front of the kingie. When the kingie swims up to the bait, give the fillet a short but sharp jig, so that small cut pieces of flesh drop off.

With these techniques, you are fishing a short length of line to the hook, so you will need to be quick to set the hook, as the kingie will spit out the bait when it feels the hook. If you hook up, be prepared for a fast get away by the fish.

If none of these work, head for home.

I'd go a gulp 2 inch minnow in peppered prawn on the lightest jig you can deliver, less than 1g. no retrieve, slack line.

only action will be when you give more line with the bail arm open, bream style.

something will sip it down.

sometimes the best thing to do, is to do nothing!

Yep tried dead sticking too! These bloody things must have graduated from college!