Port Hacking

Yowie

Pumped some nippers and drifted along the flats on the run-up tide at various places. The whiting I kept were not too much over the size limit, and threw back a few just under the size limit. Plenty of bream over the flats, most were just on or under the size limit. Also 1 tarwhine caught, but sent him back. The flatties were scattered about in shallow water, and the smallest one I caught did 2 leaps clean out of the water during the fight.

post-13153-0-93618900-1383712597_thumb.jpg

I have found it has been tough compared to only 2 years ago.

The deeper water is a bit quiet, but the sandflats have some fish in places. The bream and whiting are feeding on squirt worms.

At least you caught some flatties outside.

Edited by yowie

Does anyone fish the flats at the head of Burraneer Bay or Lillie Pillie at night?

As a kid in the fifties we used to go out with a great guy (nick name "My Man") who owned a 5M rowboat and taught me and other kids how to both row a boat quietly and catch big bream at night.

We would anchor at the head of the bay end of the flat on a run out tide and use 4 - 5 pound handlines wound onto wooden spools made from circular ends with dowel spacers in between. Originally used for cuttyhunk lines they were intended to allow the lines to dry out.

The ends were fitted with rubber rings from Vacola fruit bottling jars. The rig was simple, a match half hitched about six foot above the hook to act as a stopper for a "Pickers Doom" sinker.

We would drop the hook/bait (often Mullet gut) into the current and let it go out 30 to 50 meters then drop the sinker overboard to slowly work its way down to the matchstick stop.

The side of the boat that we fished from was covered in hessian bags to stop any noise. The spools were laid onto the bags and we either held onto the line or simply held the line by loosely jamming a piece of paper into the gunwale. The Bream would typically pick up the bait and run with it for some two to three meters. We would wait until it took a second run which was usually fairly slow and then strike. Worked great.

The oars in the boat were a work of art compared to today's models, made from Oregon timber they were slim tapered with scooped out ends. Lovely to use.

The best nights that I remember were when there was phosphorus in the water which made the line and fish glow as they were pulled into the boat.

I hope that my reminiscing about old times does not bore Raiders to death and that some older raiders may identify with the fishing methods described above and in turn share their stories with us.

Cheers

Paikea

Does anyone fish the flats at the head of Burraneer Bay or Lillie Pillie at night?

As a kid in the fifties we used to go out with a great guy (nick name "My Man") who owned a 5M rowboat and taught me and other kids how to both row a boat quietly and catch big bream at night.

We would anchor at the head of the bay end of the flat on a run out tide and use 4 - 5 pound handlines wound onto wooden spools made from circular ends with dowel spacers in between. Originally used for cuttyhunk lines they were intended to allow the lines to dry out.

The ends were fitted with rubber rings from Vacola fruit bottling jars. The rig was simple, a match half hitched about six foot above the hook to act as a stopper for a "Pickers Doom" sinker.

We would drop the hook/bait (often Mullet gut) into the current and let it go out 30 to 50 meters then drop the sinker overboard to slowly work its way down to the matchstick stop.

The side of the boat that we fished from was covered in hessian bags to stop any noise. The spools were laid onto the bags and we either held onto the line or simply held the line by loosely jamming a piece of paper into the gunwale. The Bream would typically pick up the bait and run with it for some two to three meters. We would wait until it took a second run which was usually fairly slow and then strike. Worked great.

The oars in the boat were a work of art compared to today's models, made from Oregon timber they were slim tapered with scooped out ends. Lovely to use.

The best nights that I remember were when there was phosphorus in the water which made the line and fish glow as they were pulled into the boat.

I hope that my reminiscing about old times does not bore Raiders to death and that some older raiders may identify with the fishing methods described above and in turn share their stories with us.

Cheers

Paikea

no you didnt bore thats for sure, awsome read up and would love to hear more.

Hey Yowie where do you pump the nippers?

I got a boat recently and want to try some fishing in the hacking

Thx

Maianbar flats. Pump at low tide to half tide. At half tide, you will be standing in water up to your knees, so you will need a sieve or a prawning net like I use.

Cheers

Paikea

I used handlines at night for bream, line wound onto corks so they would bounce around in the boat and not make any noise when a fish took line. Quite often anchored in Yowie Bay on the edge of the drop-off, but in a place with a little bit of sand to reduce snagging.

Just put my last cork reel into use, has been sitting in storage for about 35 years, when it was decreed that cork reels could no longer be used for fishing reels. (don't know who made that decision) so I bought the last couple of corks at Arthur Chapmans store at Rockdale.

One that I had for nearly that long broke in the middle last month, so I cut out the broken section to shorten the length, and used a large screw through the 2 sections and glue to hold it together.

I used handlines at night for bream, line wound onto corks so they would bounce around in the boat and not make any noise when a fish took line. Quite often anchored in Yowie Bay on the edge of the drop-off, but in a place with a little bit of sand to reduce snagging.

Just put my last cork reel into use, has been sitting in storage for about 35 years, when it was decreed that cork reels could no longer be used for fishing reels. (don't know who made that decision) so I bought the last couple of corks at Arthur Chapmans store at Rockdale.

One that I had for nearly that long broke in the middle last month, so I cut out the broken section to shorten the length, and used a large screw through the 2 sections and glue to hold it together.

When I was a youngster we also used the cork reels that my dad provided (obviously his kids could not be trusted with a rod). One day one of my brothers dropped the reel into the george's river from oatley point. My oldman was livid as it floated toward como bridge. As a kid you had no idea why the loss of a cork handreel could bring a man to the point of tears. As an adult myself now I understand and my 5 month old son will not get a rod and reel for some time yet !!