Slide Fishing

EGK24A

Hey Ladies and Gents,

Just wondering if anyone here has heard about Slide Fishing before? Saw some guys doing this with great success and was wondering if anyone had heard about them. Managed to land themselves Kings, Bonito's and Jew's without any problem.

I found this company which makes them locally in Sydney

Anyone got any feedback on these?

Cheers,

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically you're supposed to use their grapnel sinker and cast that only to get distance.

After the sinker hits the bottom you give it a few tugs to lock the sinker into the sea floor.

Once the sinker is locked you hook the bait onto the slider and then slide your bait out into the ocean from where you stand so the bait doesn't die from impact of cast etc.

Hope this makes sense. Maybe I can ask the guys of a video and post it up here.

Interesting method right?

I've seen this method for bait, but not for livies!! Makes sense tho!!! The kingies (in particular) would be just waiting for the livie to head 'down'!!

Give it a go & let us know how it goes!!

Roberta

I do it of The ledges, just use a normal 160g weight and swivel clip the rig to my line... Usually using a pilly (dead) under a float, can't strike at it though as no resistance just used for pure distance... The tide takes the float out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it originated in Hawaii and has slowly made its way across the world. I think in the UK it's quite popular now as well.

Hopefully it catches on over here. I have done some research and found out that a lot of people use it off the rocks and beaches and pretty much any land based application where you chase large fish. I am going to bite the bullet and pick some up today. Hopefully I get enough time to head out on the weekend and get some fishing in. Will keep you all posted with the setup and if I catch anything.

For every ounce of lead add 10lb of line. 5oz = 50lb line. One way is to use 50lb leader of twice the length of your rod + 5 crank of the reel. Basically the leader should wrap around the spool several times, goes up the rod the down the rod.

I have heard of that before in Hawaii they drive down to the sea where there are steep drop offs and catch some huge fish.

I was speaking to a mate sometime ago and he was trying to explain this technique of what he saw in South Africa and Zimbabwe. He said this bloke was catching monster sharks! Although he used rope and the same rope with a sliding gaff!

Sounds like to much effort for me! Although the concept has merit and used in many places!

Good luck!

Cheers scratchie!!!

With the right gear what do you have to be worried about. All about trial and error and I'm not targeting bonito. In fact never said that I was going to target it.

Will try for some kings over the weekend and see how I go. Well that's if I get the chance.

Just be careful of your rod too, 10oz is a lot... 5oz is a lot to cast!! I snapped 40lb braid flinging a 160g ball sinker... Twice! Both went flying up high and landed an inch from my head. 50lb braid an cast 210g without an issue but the rod might not like it.

Good luck buddy...

so you cast as far as you can,

hook a kingy at your feet because thats where they are,

then try and reel all your line in and get tight before it busts you off?

interested to hear how it goes,

maybe we will all be doing it soon!

edit spelling.

Edited by stevefish

Just as a thougth, what if you used scrap mettal. A peice of angle steel would work fine, snagg the bottom easily and cast no problem. Just connect it to the leader with 15lb line or something lighter than you main. The just snapp it free if the fish doesnt and reel in your fish. I dont think that there is any need for 10oz of lead!!! Casting distance comes primarily from the speed of the end of the rod, so at a certain weightyou really start to limit the distance because heavy weigths cant be ''lobbed'' as easily. That my thought any way.

Cheers

what rod would cast 10ozs any distance? for distance my max weight is 4oz and 20lb mono and that is on a 9144 glass rod

peter

the distance I get of 210 is half of what a get off 120. That's a 10ft surf caster.

If your reef fishing off rocks a 120g pyramid sinker would do the trick.