jb croc

Kizza

Gday all.

Headed down to jb from Thursday night until Sunday night for a bit of a family do. I took the tinny of course and wanted to target the tasty population of calamari down there but the wind had other plans. We jagged about 4 good squid but the wind made it too hard so plan b was to find cover in one of the Creek/rivers to try get a feed of flathead with plastics.

Creek looked good after all the rain (nice and coffee looking). Me and my brother were fishing and he hadn't used plastics before. The fishing was great with both of us jagging about 6 fish each keeping 5 in the 38-44cm range. The call was made to head off after one more drift. I got hit and called for the net as I could feel good weight. All of a sudden a big big run started of about 15 meters and I new this was serious. The fish gave my gear a run for its money. Size 1000 biomaster on my 2-4lb samurai 101 with 6lb mainline and 8 pound leader. It sunk in when we finally saw the beast swim over a shallow sand bank. That's when I started worrying about my leader and my little 1 1/12 jig head straightening. After 10 minutes of a nervous fight and a few huge runs it took a few shots with the net until we finally got her. Net was too smal and she broke it! The leader was freyed to buggery.

Came in at 90cm and seriously fat. We kept her in the net next to the boat as we putted back to the ramp to get my tape measure from the ute. Got a few photos and let her swim off. Was a great experience for someone who is reasonable new to plastics! It was quite funny looking at the 3nch wriggler next to her huge head.

Was a great day for both of us. My brother was stoked with his first fish on plastics and I was stoked with a fish I'd only ever seen in magazines and the net. I'll probably never see a quality fish like that again. The wind and rain for the resf of the weekend cancelled any chance of chasing a king or late season red. So it was family food and beers in the most beautiful place on earth (even when the weather's shithouse). Priceless.

post-22093-0-22529100-1384727995_thumb.jpg

post-22093-0-63683600-1384728219_thumb.jpg

post-22093-0-03763100-1384729124_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys, yeah there is no way I could kill a ig breeder like that. The girth on her was insane I recon I could have for both my fists in her mkuth. I didn't have scales but would love an educated guess on the weight?

Nah mate didn't use the squid for bait. Had salt n pepper calamari on the side of flat tie fillet mmmm

Sorry about the sideways and upside down pics I dunno why it does that...

That's a myth mate males don't turn into females

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Your 100% right kingfisher! It is a myth but because there are no real visual signs to differentiate male and female, it is best to let them go, if you wish too!

Cheers scratchie!!!