Filleting fish

svsolaris

Interesting how he uses a very solid blade as opposed to a flexible filleting knife.

Also.. I want that guy's sink/filleting station. Sure beats the old ironing board with chopping board stuck to it that I use!

Hope thats saltwater....

quote][/

I know what you are saying but with the skin in tact and the gut cavity having a membrane also he did not actually wash the flesh down.

I also have to take on board how well he kept the blade clean The dude has some skills but is also using the best tools. Note the video is from a knife fanciers site.

On another note, has any one here ever eaten a slimmy before. a pommy workmate recons a very similar fish is very popular in Europe.

Yes I filleted quite a few on one trip years ago as they were all we could catch and my mate said they were nice to eat... The flesh is so soft and strong in flavour I won't be filleting anymore that's for sure... Ok for fish cakes but better for bait,

As far as filleting, no different to most fish of that shape.

Hi Flickn, I wrote a fishing report about eating mackerel recently. They're staple food in much of Europe and I find the 20cm + models delicious. They have to be filleted right to remove the bones and being fishy, you'll only love the taste if you also like things like sardines and anchovies. Give them a go and tell us how you went!