Mooney Mooney creek advice

krause

Hi all,

I will be heading to mooney mooney creek soon and am looking for any pointers anyone has. We will be fishing land based and at this point are looking at fishing up near the M1/F3 overpass. Is this the spot to fish, or is there else were?

I will be taking a few amature/first time fishermen and have chosen mooney creek because it is spose to do well. Not looking for monsters, just some action to engage the new comers. Will likely get them to use bait, prawns and squid, and I might even through a sp around.

Any pointers or info to help would be awesome, more so on the simple side to help secure a catch for the newcomers. Cheers

Ive fished there before but the bottom is quite snaggy and you lose a bit of gear, its not the cleanest of spots sometimes either, Ive taken a couple of bags of someone else's rubbish out of there with me before. I did unload a bunch of bait that I was finished with for the day there before squid, pilchards, prawns....didnt get any bites while I was there on any of the baits though... I think you'd have better luck in a beach gutter just quietly, the fish are clean, no snags, you dont have to use heavy beach gear...I often just cast a small plastic into the surf off my 2-4kilo 7ft rod with 2000 reel 1/4 to 1/2 oz head on 6lb braid / 8lb fluoro leader.... I hooked up to a solid 2.5 kilo salmon up at palm beach a few months back..

my 2c but if you are heading to mooney mooney let us know how you go :)

Reubs

Hey Krause, tried mooney creek a few times and have not had much success. Almost destroyed my boat there as well. Anyway, if your travelling up there, the point that comes out of parsley bay would be more productive. Lb is a challenge anywhere in the hawkesbo! Good luck!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Ive fished there before but the bottom is quite snaggy and you lose a bit of gear, its not the cleanest of spots sometimes either, Ive taken a couple of bags of someone else's rubbish out of there with me before. I did unload a bunch of bait that I was finished with for the day there before squid, pilchards, prawns....didnt get any bites while I was there on any of the baits though... I think you'd have better luck in a beach gutter just quietly, the fish are clean, no snags, you dont have to use heavy beach gear...I often just cast a small plastic into the surf off my 2-4kilo 7ft rod with 2000 reel 1/4 to 1/2 oz head on 6lb braid / 8lb fluoro leader.... I hooked up to a solid 2.5 kilo salmon up at palm beach a few months back..

my 2c but if you are heading to mooney mooney let us know how you go :)

Reubs

Firstly, good on you for picking it up. I do the same, its not fun, but it s!#&'s me when people cant pich up their own rubbish.

Secondly, im quite keen on beach fishing, having recently discovered it. But i usually bait fish, and dont have the spare beach rods. Quick question on the sp, how do you work them? Along side my bait efforts I have tried throwing 40-50g chrome slugs around the surf, but have had no luck, mabey sp's would be different. I was down at stanwell park today, total of 5 guys fishing multiple rods each. net result, zip all, not a single fish to be seen. Luck of the draw I guess....