Near Lilli Pilli

Yowie

Fished the deep near Lilli Pilli early this morning, but not a lot about.

Kept 1 flattie at 58cm, did not fight much until I put the net in the water, then it was all over the place trying to avoid the net, also kept a tailor of 45cm.

Released a red gurnard and a flounder just under 30cm, also released 2 tailor just under size and 3 jewies around the 50cm mark.

No yellowtail to be caught, and only a few small reddies about.

Not worth a photo.

Nice simple report yowie! What was the wind like? It was ok here til 9am then it really kicked up and spoilt my fishing day yet again. Had a bit of fun with whiting and tailor on my new blades. Love those lures, even double hook ups. Were you using nippers again?

Cheers scratchie!!!

Kept 1 flattie at 58cm, did not fight much until I put the net in the water, then it was all over the place trying to avoid the net, also kept a tailor of 45cm.

Released a red gurnard and a flounder just under 30cm, also released 2 tailor just under size and 3 jewies around the 50cm mark.

Not worth a photo.

Those Jewies a few weeks ago would have made a good meal, pity.

Groper, did not measure them up, biggest might have been 55cm.

The problem with these small ones, as I have mentioned on previous occasions, is that they swallow large baits, and suffer injuries to their gills and stomachs. Suspect that some will die after release.

Not worth a photo.

Not a bad morning. Good work

At least you got a feed yowie give it a few weeks of hot weather and warm currents it should be firing.

Are you joking a 50cm Jew a good meal you must eat crap

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

What is it to you if he used to enjoy eating them? If they were legal as they were back then he has all the right in the world to take them home for a feed without someone like you making irrelevant comments. Besides the point now since they are undersized as of November 1. Edited by Krispy !

Are you joking a 50cm Jew a good meal you must eat crap

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

really. You must be eating them out of chiping Norton. On serios note mate I dont appreciate been bagged on a public forum on what I like to eat so take that crap behavior with you. Edited by Groper

Groper, did not measure them up, biggest might have been 55cm.

The problem with these small ones, as I have mentioned on previous occasions, is that they swallow large baits, and suffer injuries to their gills and stomachs. Suspect that some will die after release.

I know you used to enjoy eating them oh well. New size limit is a new size limit. Was told by another local he expects the hacking to really fire up In about 3 weeks time.

That's right Groper, I do not mind eating an occasional one. Some people think that the smaller ones are not worth eating, however, I have eaten some larger ones as well, and have not found much difference in taste and texture between the two. And that is over many years of catching and eating fish.

A couple of the smaller ones I have released recently, with the new size limit in place, have had some injury to their mouths. Previously if a jewie was suffering some sort of injury, I would keep that fish for the table, but now, they are to be released regardless. Research shows that jewfish have a lower survival rate on release that a lot of other fish. Suppose that an injured one will be an easy feed for the bull sharks in Port Hacking.

It is getting close to Christmas, but I find that around and after Christmas, the fishing can be a bit slower due to the large number of speed boats, water skiers, jet skis buzzing around. Some of these idiots are around at first light.

Edited by yowie