Calling fellow kayakers

Bartos09

Hi All,

I moved to Sydney 2 years ago. In this time I spent just about every weekend fishing land based for 14 months for an end result of 3 undersized flathead and 1 undersized tailor...... Frustrating times. I fished all sorts of lures, spots, tides, seasons etc. I had 1 mate that would come with me from time to time. He had the good sense to give up from time to time though, as we were catching nothing. I did not, I would just get more and more determined. I would constantly see fishing reports of decent fish being caught. I fish exclusively with lures, so I acknowledge that I would probably have a better chance with bait. But that's not how I roll. I always had the excuse up my sleeve that if I had a boat, things would be different. I finally decided to buy a kayak. I thought I'd give that a go for a month, and if things didn't change then I would find another hobby. I bought a kayak. I couldn't even wait until the weekend to use it, so I chucked a sickie, and went out in the rain for a flick. Nailed 3 kingies in about an hour...... Oh my god, why did I not do this sooner!!!!

In the following few sessions I pinned a couple more kings, tailor and a big fat bonito. Then we had a big dump of rain and winter set in. I focused on trying to catch bream on lures until the water warmed up again. It has taken some time, but I think I've finally cracked the code to consistently catch bream on lures. I've been telling my mate to buy a kayak for ages, but if he was going to then he would have by now. Going out by myself is getting a bit stale. My mrs told me to "go landbased with my mate." I explained that I can't go back to catching nothing. To that she responded "fishing isn't just about catching fish you know". Well technically I agree with that statement, but for me getting results is a big factor. Don't get me wrong, sometimes that happens and I can take it with a pinch of salt. But I'm not going to go for a "social fish" and almost certainly catch nothing, when I can go out in the yak by myself and most likely catch a few.

Anyway I feel like I'm starting to ramble.

Is anyone with a kayak interested in meeting up for a session? I'm not bad a targeting bream and kings on lures. And happy to share knowledge. I would really like to target Jews on lures but I have never even seen one in the flesh. I don't think it's the sort of thing that I can jut figure out on my own. I'm happy to chuck the kayak on the roof and drive anywhere in the Sydney and hawksbury region. I'm also not afraid of a difficult launch, long paddle, rain etc.

Cheers.

Hey Bartos, My mate and I head out in Botany almost every weekend at some point if the winds are right. We are relatively new to yal fishing but have been fishing for a few years. We have see the same results from the yak and managed a few feeds over the past couple of weeks. Let us knwo if you would like to meet up. We will be heading out tomorrow in Botnay. Hopefully to catch a few flatties, whiting and possibly squid if the water is right.