Kayak Fisho's! I need help!

Kingy Kaos

Hi all,

I need a bit of advice on buying a blue water fishing kayak. I've owned boats my whole life and have just recently sold my last one a few months ago and I am dying to get back out on the water. I've been looking online and am really keen to purchase one of the peddle powered ones. They look like the most practical, leaving your hands free to reel in a big king or even a red.

So what I'm asking is any information on the pros and cons of these pedal fishing kayaks and where is the best place to buy or ever get info would be?

Thanks for your help!

Oh also I live a Dee Why so longy is just around the corner so any advice on kayak fishing there would be great! Cheers

Hi KK

The Hobies that are suited for offshore are the Revoution 13, Outback and Adventure Island (with or without the Outrigger kit & sail.) The best would be the Adventure Island with Sail & amas ...... they are amazingly stable, you sail out to where you want to fish, do your fishing, then sail home again! Some buddies sail their's to Fraser Island every year & camp on the beaches, chasing big fish. One guy hooked a marlin up there this year. Other buddies regularly catch marlin 80kg+, big snapper, cobia, kingies, tuna, mackerel, wahoo - pretty well anything with fins!!

You really need to 'try before you buy' - most hobie dealers will have a 'demo day' for you to try them (make sure you take your fishing rod & lures with you) - but the best way would be to buddy up with guys here (who may have a spare yak for you to borrow) and go out with them to see how you go, even on a paddle yak as well, so you have a true comparison.

If most of your fishing is offshore, I'd also add an automatic bilge to your safety gear, especially if you prefer to fish alone. Or, if getting the Revo or Outback, maybe add a stabilising outrigger or 2. It can be as simple as adding a couple of 'buoys' to the sides - you could work out a way of fitting them offshore if it gets a bit hairy - but would make the yak MUCH more stable going out & coming in from the surf launch. Check out these 'sponson' ideas - some are inflatable.

http://www.google.com.au/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=sponson+on+kayak&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&hl=en&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ei=H4inUoGWBO6tiQeCiICQBw&ved=0CCcQsAQ

With a pedal yak, you are less at the mercy of the wind & current than a paddle yak. You are 'hands free' and can fish on your way out to your spot (much as paddle yaks can troll) but we usually prefer to fish 'ahead' of ourselves! :D Particularly in river, lake, estuary and dam situations. I don't take an anchor with me as I can hold my position in the current & am not usually affected by wind & current unless it causes big swell - and then I hightail it back to shore!

Paddle Yaks usually go faster - but with hobies, you can just pedal all day! (Slow & steady is the way with the hobies - excess effort on the pedals can be detrimental to the drive and the hull!)

There are a heap of yakkers in your area - introduce yourselves to them when you see them & ask questions on their yak! They usually love telling you why theirs is the best! :D With a bit of luck, they may let you try it!!

Good luck on your hunt!

Roberta

KK,

I work up at the War Vets village at Narrabeen. The yak retailer at Mona vale is a good place to start. If you're ever gonna put in at the Lake, send me a PM and we can try and arrange a time to meet and greet. I don't have a Hobie, just a little paddle SOT, but I'd like an opportunity to check a Hobie out and meet a fellow yakker. We might even be able to get a little fishing in.

I think my brother, Cam/Sails was there, as well, helping, SV ...... a really sorry tale, from what I hear! It was much calmer further along but he didn't think Cam was signaling to HIM to go further up! :( I know the guy, too - he has been up to SWR a couple of times with the group in Feb and I have fished with him off Longy too!

He has been offshore there many times & for some reason, made the wrong decisions on the day! :(

The bouys may have prevented a capsize - they make a yak incredibly more stable - whether sit in or sit on!

See how it makes this 'very tippy yak' really stable?

post-2231-0-77067400-1386887307_thumb.jpg

post-2231-0-82786400-1386887320_thumb.jpg

post-2231-0-01971700-1386887329_thumb.jpg

cheers

Roberta

Hi Kingy,

I took the plunge about 3 years ago and bought my first yak, without even taking it for a spin and i have been over the moon with my choice. Got a Hobie Revo 13. Its great when heading out in the blue as well as lagoons etc. Peddling is great as it keeps your hands free and if you are unfit like I am, when your legs get tired you can give them a break and have a paddle. They are obviously more expensive but really hold their value.

You wont be disappointed

If you can afford it then I think you'd better go for a pedal yak.

I couldn't and bought one of those cheapo 2.7m yak but after we settle down in Aussie in our own property then I'll be looking to get one.

It's just so practical to have the two hands free.