Last minute- Port Stephens

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

Made the last minute decision with the eldest boy to head out this morning. With the hectic Xmas period over it was time get a rod bent. With limited time, we set out for Tomaree headland and had a tank of yakkas by 530am. Headed back in to drift the breakwall and first drift zzzzzz, the sound I live to hear! A great little fight followed and we boated my first king.

post-24974-0-67531000-1388101700_thumb.jpg

It went just legal at 65cm but returned to fight another day.

Second drift was the boys turn.......

post-24974-0-78895800-1388101823_thumb.jpg

Just love watching the kids get into the action, the look on their faces as the fish peels line is priceless.

It went 63cm and was also returned.

A couple more drifts and this time I was onto something big, but my 25lb line was no match for it and it was list very quickly. (Note to self- bring bigger gear next time) The usual boat traffic then started and the kings disappeared with it. We still had enought time to head back out front and try our luck. It was a beautiful sight as we approached the heads.

post-24974-0-57708200-1388102141_thumb.jpg

We picked out a reef I've had success on snapper before but could only manage a few small squire, some massive slimies and the boy caught this huge rocky!

post-24974-0-98933500-1388102248_thumb.jpg

We trolled the way back in but still no sign of any pelagics about. The water was still only 21.5deg but a heap of bait around.

At the boat ramp, some tourist thought he was retrieving the QE2 and had to take up both ramps. So annoying and he was oblivious to the fact until I parked my car right next to him and he couldn't get out the drivers side. Haha

Was home by 10am and I'm heading of soon to take the yaks out with the family, might even try wet a line.

Tight lines all,

Cheers scratchie!!!

Awesome work mate great sesh and report as usual. Great to see the young fella having such a ripper time. Envious! Ever considered adopting a grown man? :P

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Cheers witha! Yep have adopted a few. If your up this way give me a bell.

Hey scratcbie. Nice report as usual but next time dont use anything less than 80lb braid and leader, going for kings on 25lb is insane.

Thanks mr Groper! Yeah I agree. I was a little under prepared but hey great fun on the lighter gear. Normally I use 50lb minimum but the decky packed the wrong rod!

Good on ya mate! When you say drifting do you mean with a float? Keeping the yakkas near the bottom?

Thanks. Drifting- I mean in a boat. I try to sound out the fish and work the line into the strike zone. Running sinker matched to current. I try keep it at least 1m from the bottom. The water depth is only 8-10m

Good report Jeff nice to hear the Young bloke haveing a good crack at it mate . Hope u had a great Xmas . Just letting u know there is a good chance we will be up you way 5-8 jan will give u a call mate . Cheers. Oziodin

Cheers Yern! Give me a call if you make it up and if I can catch up again I will. No probs!

At the boat ramp, some tourist thought he was retrieving the QE2 and had to take up both ramps. So annoying and he was oblivious to the fact until I parked my car right next to him and he couldn't get out the drivers side. Haha

I love that, ramp jockeys are a pain in the butt. I would like to have seen his face when he realised that he was an idiot.

Cheers

Paikea

I love that, ramp jockeys are a pain in the butt. I would like to have seen his face when he realised that he was an idiot.

Cheers

Paikea

That's the trouble. They don't realise. Then he bogged it in the sand because it took so long too move it. Oh boy, can't wait to get my ramp back!

We'll done scratchie nice catch , will be heading up your way after new year . Did u keep the red rock cod , they are nice eating fish .

Thanks joe! No mate, they are throw backs for me. I have heard they eat ok but I prefer a big slab of something!