Does the boat even start?

dhype

That's the question I asked when I saw the polycraft sitting in the driveway...

It's been months since I have taken the boat out as I have recently taken up stamp collecting as my new hobby :P

The wife wanted feed of fish and some blue swimmers so got off my arse and found out:

1) there are plenty of quality flatties

2) there are plenty of quality crabs

3) the honda on the back of the boat starts first crank after months sitting there

4) damiki 55mm vibes out fish all other lures on this day!

All up it was a great few hours in Botany Bay... plenty of fish/crabs (and people!!) so go get them!

Hope everyone has a great 2014.. see you all on the water!

Cheers

Trung

post-10545-0-28488000-1388613708_thumb.jpg

post-10545-0-49351100-1388613914_thumb.jpg

Cheap flatty fillets!!! OMG!

post-10545-0-10109600-1388754514_thumb.jpg

Edited by dhype

Yes stamp collecting can be brutal - up all night looking for just the right one on the net....Not too much postmarking, nice clean perforated edges - and oh the colours !

Got to get some from those exostic countries....oh - look at the time, I must have been stamp-gazing for, well, months !

Crikey I forgot I even had a boat.

I wonder if the honda starts.....

How do I use a fishing rod again ?

Seriously I thought you had moved overseas to a country that has not yet invented electricity.

You always seem to find a way to go fishing and login to FR to tease, er, I mean to TELL us about it.

I see you got crabs - big blue ones...with claws.

How many crab traps did I nearly run over in the last week ?

Stacks.

Some people use clear bottles as the float.

Very ingenious so people can't see them to pull them up and steal your crabs.

Nor do other people as they nearly run them over in the main channel....

Good to see you back Trung.

Just remember, you're a fisherman, not a philatelist.

See you 'round the bay...

Tony

hey mate, the question I was asking was 'is Trung still alive?' :D haven't heard a peep from you for a while! good to see you getting back into it.

you are right about the squid though, hasn't been as easy as past summers, need to move around a little for them, but even then, we're just feeding them to rats still anyway hehe

see you out on the water soon.

Good work on the crabs and flatties.. Hail!.

We found squid..Where were you trying for them? :)

but you are right..they hard to find lately.

its was good to get a feed of fresh seafood... i almost resorted to BUYING !!!

I tried every known spot in Botany for close to 2 hours for a donut... first time this has happened in years!

Good to see you guys getting stuck into the dollies... i'll be hitting them soon in hopefully a new boat :)

Well done trung good feed of crabs there. Mmmm

fresh crabs and flatty fillets.. unbeatable...

Saw the price of flathead fillets at David Jones food hall and almost died!

hey mate, the question I was asking was 'is Trung still alive?' :D haven't heard a peep from you for a while! good to see you getting back into it.

you are right about the squid though, hasn't been as easy as past summers, need to move around a little for them, but even then, we're just feeding them to rats still anyway hehe

see you out on the water soon.

hahaha... that's what many people have said also.. from fishing 2 or 3 times a week to not flicking a lure for months has been a major shock to the system...

Been busy getting ready to sell a few properties and moving closer to the water/boat ramp :) Looking forward to that!

Yes stamp collecting can be brutal - up all night looking for just the right one on the net....Not too much postmarking, nice clean perforated edges - and oh the colours !

Got to get some from those exostic countries....oh - look at the time, I must have been stamp-gazing for, well, months !

Crikey I forgot I even had a boat.

I wonder if the honda starts.....

How do I use a fishing rod again ?

Seriously I thought you had moved overseas to a country that has not yet invented electricity.

You always seem to find a way to go fishing and login to FR to tease, er, I mean to TELL us about it.

I see you got crabs - big blue ones...with claws.

How many crab traps did I nearly run over in the last week ?

Stacks.

Some people use clear bottles as the float.

Very ingenious so people can't see them to pull them up and steal your crabs.

Nor do other people as they nearly run them over in the main channel....

Good to see you back Trung.

Just remember, you're a fisherman, not a philatelist.

See you 'round the bay...

Tony

Hey Tony

Stamp collecting takes its toll on the spare time! Hours spent sorting alone... but It was good to pick up a fishing rod again!

I tell you what, I have never seen so many crab traps in the water.. the word must have gone out the crabs are on the march... there must have been 40+ traps in a 500sqm area! And yes, plenty of clear bottles used as floats!

Mate , we still need to tee up that whiting/bream or flatty/squid info swap session... let me know when you are free and we can line something up.

You keep posting you stories.. i love your reports.

Catch up soon

Trung

Well done mate,

I was out last Friday and yeah the ammount of crab trap floats was incredible.

What do You guys reckon is the best bait in a crab trap.

cheers,

Paddy

in my opinion, best crab bait in order:

1) whole fresh trumpeter whiting

2) fresh flatty frames and heads

3) fresh king fish frames and heads

What I find NEVER works is bream frames... I have no success with these for some reason so have stopped using them!

Also, for me the idea that old and smell bait is best just does not go... fresh is best even when it comes to catching crabs

It will be interesting to see what other use or have success with

Cheers

Trung

Thanks Trung for the tips.

I used salmon heads and they never got touched and since my missus loves blue swimmers I bought two at $24kg but did not have the b%*ls to tell her :wife:

next week being school hols my missus & daughter will be out with me so I,ll try your tips :banana:

I used salmon heads and they never got touched and since my missus loves blue swimmers I bought two at $24kg but did not have the b%*ls to tell her :wife:

next week being school hols my missus & daughter will be out with me so I,ll try your tips :banana:

hahahah - you see...even crabs will not even touch smelly salmon!

Good luck next week and let us know how you went.

Jewie heads work, and heads from small tuna (such as frigates) are excellent.

Well done T, good to get back out there. I carted mine down to JB and one got on it (family days don't count) once for the week but it was always worth it. Had a plague of seals down there too! Cheers.

Hi Erroll,

I'm guessing, JB is Jervis Bay?

If so, we'll be heading up that way for the first time during the Australia Day long weekend, contemplating wether to bring the boat or not (old girl got fitted out with an 08 90hp Optimax this time last year, and it's only been out on the water once - down in the Bega River), we'll be staying at Callala Beach, the boat is a 5.4 m half cab, will we be able to use the ramp over at Callala Bay?

Thanks.

Regards,

Longy

Hi Erroll,

I'm guessing, JB is Jervis Bay?

If so, we'll be heading up that way for the first time during the Australia Day long weekend, contemplating wether to bring the boat or not (old girl got fitted out with an 08 90hp Optimax this time last year, and it's only been out on the water once - down in the Bega River), we'll be staying at Callala Beach, the boat is a 5.4 m half cab, will we be able to use the ramp over at Callala Bay?

Thanks.

Regards,

Longy

Yes mate, Jervis. We stayed in the same suburb. The boat ramp is fine if your boat is not too big. Mine is 6.8m fibreglass and our stay coincided with extreme highs and lows tides. I had to wait twice for the water to come back in to get my boat out of the water. I saw plenty of tinnies, even good size ones manage to float these up until the last hour either side of the tide. If you want to go fish the north, the ramp at Currarong is pretty good too. Great place although the fishing was slow. Cheers. Erroll

• 2 weeks later...