Preventing Trailer Corrosion.

Paikea

Having serviced my trailer I decided to apply some Valvoline Tectyl 506 a military grade rust preventer.

The following pics show the product and the partly completed result. I only bought two cans of Tectyl, nowhere near enough and it is not cheap.

The only place that stocks it on the south side appears to be Super Cheap Auto at La Kembla.

A mate of mine treated his trailer with it more than 10 years ago and only touched it up once. No signs of corrosion anywhere.

It looks like the product that new mothers look for in their baby's nappies but hey, if it works who cares.

Cheers

Paikea

Guest Aussie007

Having serviced my trailer I decided to apply some Valvoline Tectyl 506 a military grade rust preventer.

The following pics show the product and the partly completed result. I only bought two cans of Tectyl, nowhere near enough and it is not cheap.

The only place that stocks it on the south side appears to be Super Cheap Auto at La Kembla.

A mate of mine treated his trailer with it more than 10 years ago and only touched it up once. No signs of corrosion anywhere.

It looks like the product that new mothers look for in their baby's nappies but hey, if it works who cares.

attachicon.gif2014-01-09 12.18.18.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1258.JPG

Cheers

Paikea

hey paikea thats an ok idea but the trailer could be rusty from the inside rusting out and u wont know untill that magical moment on the highway :(

does it wash off or scrub off? ive seen people do this before to there trailers

hey paikea thats an ok idea but the trailer could be rusty from the inside rusting out and u wont know untill that magical moment on the highway :(

I suppose you're right, but better to only be rusting from the inside than both the inside out and the outside in.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

My trailer is made from C- Channel rather than hollow steel sections. I don't know why they don't make all trailers like that.

It can be removed by scrubbing with Turps. Other than that it is very difficult to remove. It is formulated to military specifications to protect their gear in all types of environments.

I wish it had C section members but that would be very difficult to do for a large double wheel trailer.

I am spraying inside the RHS members as far as I can. Not perfect but better than nothing. Also I will be washing inside the members with the gurney every time that I dunk the trailer.

As to whether it is worth doing at all, I mentioned that my mate did his trailer more than 10 years ago and not a sign of rust anywhere. That must prove something.

Cheers

Paikea

Mate you need to get Penatrol,It comes in a 5lt container from that big hardware company.......Then spray it into all the box section,you can use a spray gun or better still use a Schultz gun and refill a empty undersealer tube.

Guest Aussie007

My trailer is made from C- Channel rather than hollow steel sections. I don't know why they don't make all trailers like that.

paikea's idea of using this stuff would work wonders on a C section trailer as u have full access minus the draw bar but that doesnt get dunked, ive owned quiet a few C section trailers and i have to say they outlive a boxed steel frame trailer by far, my last trailer was built in 1981 and it was just starting to show frame rust only because someone had painted it and moisture or salt water got under the cheezy paint and rust kicked in

Guest Aussie007

It can be removed by scrubbing with Turps. Other than that it is very difficult to remove. It is formulated to military specifications to protect their gear in all types of environments.

I wish it had C section members but that would be very difficult to do for a large double wheel trailer.

I am spraying inside the RHS members as far as I can. Not perfect but better than nothing. Also I will be washing inside the members with the gurney every time that I dunk the trailer.

As to whether it is worth doing at all, I mentioned that my mate did his trailer more than 10 years ago and not a sign of rust anywhere. That must prove something.

Cheers

Paikea

u could cap off the ends of your trailer than fill the trailer with oil and it'll probably out live u lol

u could cap off the ends of your trailer than fill the trailer with oil and it'll probably out live u lol

You would have to make sure of your welds though,otherwise the oil will slowly leak out and be replaced with salt water and you will be worse off.

How did your home made trailer turn out Gazza,did you Gal it or paint it.

Guest Aussie007

You would have to make sure of your welds though,otherwise the oil will slowly leak out and be replaced with salt water and you will be worse off.

How did your home made trailer turn out Gazza,did you Gal it or paint it.

i didnt end up finishing it, the overall cost was going to out weigh the price of a new trailer, but im thinking of doing another one from C section instead of the box section as the box weighed heaps and the galvanizing was going to be the biggest cost

i sold it on a online auction site the buyer was happy with it

Mate you need to get Penatrol,It comes in a 5lt container from that big hardware company.......Then spray it into all the box section,you can use a spray gun or better still use a Schultz gun and refill a empty undersealer tube.

Ok, I will show my ignorance. What the heck is a "Schultz gun" and an "undersealer tube?"

Sounds like a World War II weapon of mass destruction.

Cheers

Paikea

Hey Paikea I was considering using some of this stuff on some vulnerable areas on the trailer. Then I thought what if I need to repair and paint a section somewhere for any reason. It would be a nightmare....

Don't think that it would be a problem. It washes off with Turps. And why would you want to paint galvanising if it is well protected?

Cheers

Paikea

Ok, I will show my ignorance. What the heck is a "Schultz gun" and an "undersealer tube?"

Sounds like a World War II weapon of mass destruction.

Cheers

Paikea

Automotive body shops use them to spray on the under sealer on your car,thats the thick tar like stuff under the floor and wheel arches.Just fill a empty tube with Penatrol and fire it inside the box sections,it goes everywhere.

Don't think that it would be a problem. It washes off with Turps. And why would you want to paint galvanising if it is well protected?

Cheers

Paikea

Just saying if you ever want to repair, modify or add something you will need to paint it cold gal or whatever.... Yeah you will need to wash it off with turps.

• 2 months later...