Amazing Nepean - out from Richmond

mottyman

Hi guys,

Today was one of those magical days when everything just went right. Perfect casts produced fish, average casts produced fish and crap casts in the middle of nowhere near nothing... caught fish.

We left at first light from Richmond and paddled down towards Windsor fishing under the trees. The fish came thick and fast and although they were mostly small the takes on the surface were still awesome and had us both yahooing like idiots. They were very keen hitting at the lure all the way back to yak.

I managed one fish over 30, many many being small but some others that averaged between 20 - 30cm.

We found a little hole that went crazy at one stage. I was fishing a small green and gold buggi pop and was doing great on it until it got smashed off the surface and the fish headed straight for structure. In no time at all it had me wrapped up and busted the 8lb flouro leader off. The leader was a mess when I got it back. It all happened in about 5 seconds and was surely a very big fish, the drag was screaming and I was now down my fav surface lure.

At the same spot Chris also got smashed on fly by a big fish which also busted him off. We just couldn't stop them.

I quickly re-rigged with a black floating diver and you wouldn't believe it. I tossed the lure over the side of the yak to wind up the slack line and a nice fish flew up right beside me, smashed it and took off. Drag singing again but smaller fish this time and got him to the yak for a pic and off.

They certainly were aggressive.

We fished the same spot for a long while and boated many fish off all various sizes carrying on like little kids the whole time. The surface takes were very fast and hard which made for great fun.

Many of the fish we boated spewed up cicadas with some of the holding food in their mouths. The cicadas were all black with yellow/orange bellies so my lure colour selection was correct before I got done by the big one :-)

So in all it was an amazing day, overcast humid conditions and very hungry fish.

Here's some pics.

Cheers

David.

post-237-0-72114300-1389237202_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-98453700-1389237206_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-18235600-1389237217_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-43941000-1389237225_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-46452900-1389237234_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-43716000-1389237242_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-78381600-1389237247_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-01667900-1389237255_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-06784100-1389237260_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, yes Stewy, its definitely worth bringing your boat out and having crack. We were still catching fish at midday on surface lures and not right in tight under trees either, just long the edge of the trees or even out a bit... fish are very aggressive.

I think the overcast day helped but they were on all day.

I also got a nepean herring on a spinner bait - that's a first, they follow lures heaps but never hook up. Pretty little fish.

Head out to Windsor. Head in any direction, up stream or down and fish every overhanging tree you can find LOLOLOLOLOL I wish I knew the secret to finding the bigger fish. There are just millions in the 15-25cm range and they're just nuts hitting lures the second they hit the water. I'm sure the bigger fish are there, my best is 36cm this season, but I can't get them consistently.

Still, I can't complain... I've had an awesome time since the season opened... Its been the best in many years for me.

I fished again today and scored one fish at 35cm and the rest in that smaller range. Honestly the small fish are like flies... LOLOL

Edited by mottyman