Gladesville Jews

sbf1

After a returning from a week long family holiday at Lake Macquarie where I fishing daily for a few nice crocks and some other bits and pieces I had an urge to hook a Jew. I decided to fish Gladesville this morning with fresh squid and had a fair bit of fun. Ended up with 4 ranging from 65 to 73 cm. was off the water by 8am so wife was happy again.

post-256-0-14310900-1389497965_thumb.jpg

Thanks it's been a decent season for me after October, they are everywhere the harbour is polluted with them. I have been fishing different spots that I have never fished the last 4 times and have caught them every time

Edited by sbf1

Yes they are all borderline legal/illegal in length of late. One if the 68cm ones we caught today i quickly weighed and out weighed the legal fish at just over 3kgs.

Edited by sbf1

The harbour where they are being caught is polluted too.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/info/sydney-closure

"No fish or crustaceans caught west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge should be eaten. You should release your catch."

There's probably a lot around because there's not many people eating them.

Yes i am aware of this though the damage would be done as i was eating heaps of fish from this area way before the recommendation to stop eating the fish, some 30 years ago.

I will eat a little from time to time and am not too concerned as you cant tell me east of the bridge if safe and west is not. Most fish that i catch swim so they feed from anywhere.

The commercial fishermen who were greatest affected by dioxin in fish have been advised that, if they follow the dietary advice given by the food authority, their dioxin levels will fall over time. I would definitely give the jews upstream of the bridge a miss.They are not migratory fish ,and neither are most other species in the parra.The main reason they recommend no fish from west of the bridge is the main dioxin polluters were in homebush bay and across from birkenhead point where monsanto was.You have to remember one thing,the substance were avoiding is a byproduct of agent orange.and i reckon my kid needs his dad more than i need to eat my catch.

The harbour where they are being caught is polluted too.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/info/sydney-closure

"No fish or crustaceans caught west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge should be eaten. You should release your catch."

There's probably a lot around because there's not many people eating them.

Its strange that dietary list doesnt even mention mulloway ?

as the warning says "NO fish or crustaceans caught west of the Sydney harbour bridge should be eaten."I should add that I have eaten fish from the river since 1980 ,until 2006 when the ban on commercial fishing was instigated.I have noticed that in the time since the rivercats have been scouring the riverbottom that the veins of river fish have been getting blacker ,to the point where whiting I have caught lately have greyish flesh.Put one from the river next to one from the surf and you'll see what I mean.I think fisheries would probably not have listed mulloway as at the time of the report they probably didn't have access to samples for testing.I have also been told a test trawl was taken late December in the Putney area east of Ryde bridge. so the advice will probably be updated soon.

Its strange that dietary list doesnt even mention mulloway ?

It is strange, maybe they didn't have acces to any samples to test.

See the recommendations about eating Mullet from the Harbour, it's the fish that should be least eaten.

Mulloway like to eat Mullet.

A Mulloway that's eaten a lot of Mullet over the years would have to dioxin / toxins in it's body.