Botany Bay 12th of January exploring pays off

HookemDano

HI All,

I'm a creature of habbit and don't usually like to try new spots unless I know they are going to produce. Sunday fishabout was something completely new. Firstly I usually fish into the night from 5pm to 10pm and 98% of that time it would be around the groynes kurnell area and don't move much if at all. So when I launched on Sunday morning at around 5am and headed towards Towra Pt I didn't have much confidence in doing anywhere near as good as I usually do. I was right and fishing was slow and resulted in many moves.......to name some....... the middle of the bay, to the runway , to the stix, to the oil warf each spot 30 minutes with a total of 1 Whiting, One Bream and one flounder, the final move was around 8:30am we headed down towards Towra Pt from the Oil warf, this time we turned left just before Towra Pt and just after Kurnell Peninsula into Quibray Bay and parked on clear sand bottom with weed to the left and weed to the righ of the boat each side had clear sand of around 30m to the weed beds.....Wow 8:35am going out tide, sun high in the sky armed with Yabbies and chicken Breast we landed 18 Bream that we could keep all between 25cm and 30cm and one awsome Blueswimmer 9:45am pulled up stumps and went home with great smile on the dial can't wait to hit that spot at dusk......

No Pics but expecting them all cleaned today and in the fridge maybe able to put one up this afternoon.....

Well done BSJ,

That's a great haul.

Were you burleying?

Did you get any on the chook?

I know the chook fires after dark but I don't fish arvos due to the wind, the dark and being away from the family at night.

Did you find any whiting there?

Were the stingrays a problem?

Yep plenty of Burly I actually believe thats what kept them around and one of the bream we caught when trying to retrieve the hook, pooped and you can tell he'd been feeding up on the burly However all bream were between 25cm and 30 with maybe 2 throw backs, Im hoping as the sun goes the size gets bigger will be trying that theory tonight.

back to your question: We caught the one sting ray and yes the chicken caught just as much as the Yabbies. I have just confirmed I will be heading out there this afternoon so will let you know how that goes.....

As far as I am aware the whole of Quibray Bay is a Sanctuary Zone that is completely off limits to fisherman. No wonder there were plenty of fish there.

Penalties include confiscation of fishing gear and boat plus hefty fines.

Check if I am correct and if so suggest that you pull this post.

Cheers

Paikea

You are 100% correct Paikea, a sanctuary zone it is.

Towra Point Nature Reserve

Fishing

NSW Fisheries manages an aquatic reserve in the waters surrounding the nature reserve. Towra Point Aquatic ReserveIcon_External_Link.png was declared in 1987 to protect seagrasses, saltmarsh, mangroves and marine animals. The 333-hectare reserve includes a Sanctuary Zone and a Refuge Zone.

The Refuge Zone includes Towra Point, Elephant's Trunk and Woolooware Bay. Though non-commercial fishing is permitted, you may not collect shellfish, nippers or crustacea. Pumping for worms is prohibited.

The Sanctuary Zone includes Weeney Bay, Quibray Bay and Stinkpot (Towra) Bay. Within the Sanctuary Zone you can only observe: you must not disturb the marine environment in any way.

If you're going fishing anywhere in the park, you'll need a fishing licence. Get more details from the NSW FisheriesIcon_External_Link.png website.

BSJ, where you were fishing is ILLEGAL and you should know better, it is your responsibility to know where you can and can't fish and what you can and cannot take.

Shame on you for fishing illegally in a sanctuary zone!!!

Definitely will not be going there tonight.......I honestly feel sick.........I know ignorance is no excuse but there were boats everywhere in this location all clearly fishing not to mention even further past the white buoys some of the kayakers were in amongst the mangroves..Surely the Maritime police need to get out there and police it as well......Once again I apologise for my stupidity.

There are two big yellow buoys that mark the start of the sanctuary zone. I'm hoping this guy was on the right side of the bouys.

Personally I don't think the sign posting is good enough....I know I'm responsible enough to check things like that before I go fishing, but there are obviously plenty more that aren't..... You've only got to pump nippers over at the sailing club on a sunny day to know that people don't care or even know about bag limits.

Not all of quibray bay is a sancutury from what I know any way last time I was there there were markers Saying not to go beyond this point so I think you lot might be jumping the gun a little I think tony keflapod knows the area best can you confirm tony by the way good catch Kurnell starts to be a little incositant this part of the month works well I'm December cheers Jim bream

Yes, the sanctuary zone starts a fair way inside Quibray Bay so the tar and feathers

may be a bit premature.

Also I spoke to the Fisheries Biologist who brought in the sanctuary zone and he

said he doesn't think it achieves all that much.

Not all of quibray bay is a sancutury from what I know any way last time I was there there were markers Saying not to go beyond this point so I think you lot might be jumping the gun a little I think tony keflapod knows the area best can you confirm tony by the way good catch Kurnell starts to be a little incositant this part of the month works well I'm December cheers Jim bream

I am looking at a map of Botany Bay that has the Sanctuary and Refuge Zones clearly marked.

The Sanctuary Zone in Quibray Bay runs from the end of Bonna Point due West to the end of the mangroves on Towra. Weeny Bay inside Quibray is included in the Sanctuary Zone.

We all know that ignorance of the law is no excuse and you are almost certain to be prosecuted if caught. For that alone it is my opinion that the quality of fishing in that area should not be publicized or encouraged.

Cheers

Paikea

JB is spot on you can still fish a small area of the western side of this bay , the yellow bouys are well marked , i fish this point often and drift into this area when fishing but as soon as i'm inside of the markers the rod goes back in the boat but plenty don't i just hope the poster B_S_J did this , and probably only he would know.All due respect to the MOD but the gun probably does need to go back in the holster until B_J_S can put his hand on the fishing bible and swear that he did follow the rules :nono:

This is a timely reminder to everyone to be mindful and responsible when fishing unfamiliar or certain areas. IT IS ILLEGAL to fish in a sanctuary zone. It is YOUR responsibility to know the waters you are fishing and there is NO EXCUSE.

It is the same with keeping undersized fish, there is NO EXCUSE.