New to fishraider - Sunday 12th January report off Botany Bay

Jumbofin

Hello everyone,

My name is Andrew and am new to fishraider. Although I have been following this forum for quite some time now I've only recently become a member so I can get involved and share some of my experiences with you guys as over the years this forum has helped me to find fish.

So here goes my first post...

Sunday morning 12th January, met at my friends place at 5:30am for an early start on his boat out of Botany. We were on the water by 6:15 and at 40 fathoms with the spread out by no later than 7:45am and greeted with absolutely stunning conditions. In 40 fathoms the water was green but showing signs of life with plenty of birds working the general area and a water temp of just over the 22 degree mark (can't recall exact temp, but def over 22). By the time we had reached the Botany wide FAD, water temp was 23.5. The further we went, the hotter it got! By the time we hit the shelf and started to head North, water temp was 24.8 and had steadily increased to 25.2. We came in from 100 fathoms back to 80 fathoms east of the 12 mile (approx.) then turned to head back South in 80 fathoms in the most cobalt blue water I had seen for a while but with no sign of life in it. Then, with no warning at all, BANG, off goes the short rigger and the 80W screams the way it was made to!

As I look back at the lures I see a raging marlin dancing across the horizon and putting on a show. The Gopro gets switched on, the deck gets cleared and I get harnessed up and settle into the fight. After a short 15 minute fight at 11am we had a nice little black marlin of around the 70 - 80kg mark next to the boat. Having brought the fish in so green on the 80W, it went bananas on the trace and ended up busting off around the prop for a quick release.

Our first marlin for 2014 and high fives all round! We didn't see anything else but did here of a couple of nice blues caught along the shelf and a few blacks raised in close too, so get out there guys (when weather permits).

Thanks for reading and I look forward to being a part of future threads and posts.

Cheers,

Andrew

PS. I'm trying to upload some still shots from the gopro footage but can't seem to get it to work. Any ideas?

Welcome Andrew, good post. I was out on friday with FR Chewie and we went 1-0-0. We were in 50 fathoms when the rod went off in the identical spot I caught my first one last year. A very good run but did not stick. I did manage a small yft which was a great surprise for this time of year and delicious as sashimi and pepper encrusted seared tuna steaks. Excellent.

How is this for gopro footage, dolphins on a small leatherjacket bait ball!

Cheers

errollpost-7148-0-06515600-1389703729_thumb.jpg

Edited by erroll

If you want to easily grab a still photo from your gopro a quick way is to make the video full screen on your computer then pause it at the photo you want then. Use the screen grab function on your computer. On a mac it's something like command-shift-3 ( easy to search on google)

Keep at it Scratchie, they'll turn up mate and unlucky on the dropped fish erroll hopefully it sticks for you next time!!

Thank you for the advice chewie, I had already created the still shots last night but was just having problems uploading them. Teething problems I guess haha!

Hope this works!

post-32212-0-75260700-1389764542_thumb.jpeg

post-32212-0-64416300-1389764568_thumb.jpeg

post-32212-0-97488900-1389764600_thumb.jpeg

post-32212-0-08783500-1389764661_thumb.jpeg

post-32212-0-32177600-1389764717_thumb.jpeg

post-32212-0-28711200-1389764748_thumb.jpeg

post-32212-0-48008600-1389764779_thumb.jpeg

post-32212-0-37549500-1389764810_thumb.jpeg

Welcome Andrew, good post. I was out on friday with FR Chewie and we went 1-0-0. We were in 50 fathoms when the rod went off in the identical spot I caught my first one last year. A very good run but did not stick. I did manage a small yft which was a great surprise for this time of year and delicious as sashimi and pepper encrusted seared tuna steaks. Excellent.

How is this for gopro footage, dolphins on a small leatherjacket bait ball!

Cheers

errollattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Awesome!

Well done ! What type of boat are you on?

Rick

Hi Rick,

It's a mates boat we are on. A Fraser Formula. I don't actually own a boat, I'm just lucky enough to have a few friends that do and are kind enough to take me out. Alternatively I use my old man's Stacer 525 Bowrider only when the warm water pushes in close enough for me to have a go out to about 50 fathoms. In the past 3 years I've released a black and 2 stripes all within 50 fathoms off Botany from the Stacer.

Cheers,

Andrew