17 Jan, night around Sydney Harbour wharves

Itchin'faFishin'

Hi Raiders,

I'm a long time reader but a virgin writer to the site, mainly because I never seemed to have anything worthwhile to report. I'm definitely still a learner. :eyeballs:

Decided to try an all-nighter with the full moon around the Sydney harbour wharves last night. My regular partner (28yr old son) was keen to join in and show me some spots he'd seen. Launched my 4.7m Steji at Drummoyne at about 8:30pm on the rising tide and first headed to Gore Creek to drop two crab traps after some luck getting a nice male mud crab in Tarban Creek on my last outing. Then headed towards Pyrmont and Goat Island, and anchored up protected from the NE breeze.

Using chicken thighs strips in Parmasan cheese we fished till about 2:00am, well into the ebb and hooked at least 15 silver bream and 4 small red bream. 10 were keepers (strangely all caught by me).

They love the chicken strips and cheese, lightly leaded with about 1m of leader on Size 2 black, circle hooks! Son was very jealous as nothing would take his hook. :mad3:

I've never caught so many good fish in a session before. Thanks to my son who told me about some of the spots.

The biggest bream going 38cm and weighting in just on 1.0kg. put up a great fight and I'd like to submit him in for the Catch of the Month competition. Photo is with 12lb mono Platypus Platinum mono that I used as leader.

Things went quiet after that and we took a nap anchored up in Neutral Bay. Woke at 5:00am to head out and try our luck trolling a Rooster popper around South Head but no luck and the swell was choppy. Came back in and anchored next to the Southern Wedding Cake where my son caught his first rat on a light line with some lightly weighted fish strip. Great fun but it went back to grow bigger. Now he was happy as he had always dreamed of catching a kingie and didn't want a donut for the day. :sun:

Returned back to the ramp at about 8:00am after checking the crab traps (no luck).

Water police and Maritime were all over the harbour on a blitz checking boats for rego, licenses and safety gear. Very friendly and doing a good job.

Will definitely stay with the cheese/chicken strips when looking for bream in the future.

CoolChange

post-30184-0-22106700-1390018285_thumb.jpg

post-30184-0-85611100-1390018335_thumb.jpg

post-30184-0-06658200-1390018355_thumb.jpg

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider CoolChange - Thats a great first report and a good nights fishing. You will need to enter your catch in the fish of the month section for January (see link) http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=71244

Please include a link back to your report. Any problems PM a moderator for help

Cheers Blood Knot

Nice catch mate. Im new to fishing and have heard chicken and parmeson cheese works great on bream also. Just not sure how you go about mixing the 2 together? Is it just strips of chicken coated with the parmeson cheese shaker you would normally stick on spaghetti bolagnase?

Hey Prawns, I use fresh Parmesan cheese, not the shaker stuff. I buy a no-name brand from the supermarket cheese area. It comes finely shredded and I roll the strips of chicken thoroughly in it before putting it in handy amounts in zip lock bags. Then into the freezer for when it is need.

CoolChange

Hey Prawns, I use fresh Parmesan cheese, not the shaker stuff. I buy a no-name brand from the supermarket cheese area. It comes finely shredded and I roll the strips of chicken thoroughly in it before putting it in handy amounts in zip lock bags. Then into the freezer for when it is need.

CoolChange

Thanks mate! I will ask the wife to grab some parmeson cheese from Coles next time she is up there. Forgot to ask mate, do you use chicken breast or.... (?)