My Story on my Biggest Bream Caught on Topwater: A Tale of Patience and Skill

Hi Raiders !,

On the morning of February 22nd, 2024, amidst the gentle lapping of waves and the soft glow of the rising sun, I embarked on a fishing adventure that would etch itself into my memory for years to come. Armed with nothing but determination and my trusty fishing gear, I set out with one goal in mind: to practise topwater lure fishing and catch a fish on one.

I carefully selected my spot along the serene waters of my local river system, a place known for its abundant fish population at times. With a keen eye for detail, I meticulously rigged my rod, selecting the perfect lure to entice the elusive prey lurking beneath the surface.

As I arrived at the location I cast my line only within 30 minutes. I could tell today was gonna be a successful day, I remained steadfast in my pursuit, casting my line with precision and patience. With each gentle tug of the current, I felt a surge of anticipation, knowing that at any moment, my patience could be rewarded with the thrill of a catch.

And then, it happened—a sudden jolt coursed through my fishing rod, sending a rush of adrenaline through my veins. With steady hands and unwavering focus, I skilfully reeled in my prize, inch by inch, until finally, breaking through the surface of the water, emerged the magnificent creature I had been waiting for, with the help of Brenden as he netted the fish we knew this fish was something to be completely in shock of.

There it was, gleaming in the morning light—a bream of remarkable size, its iridescent scales shimmering in the sunlight. My heart raced with excitement as I carefully cradled the fish in my hands, marvelling at its sheer size and beauty. Measuring an impressive 46 centimetres, it was undoubtedly the biggest bream I have ever caught. 

3D33B717-1012-4A97-AAD3-8236714AB721.thumb.jpg.745337867567f8db2671ed21fd8c65fc.jpg

With a sense of pride and accomplishment, I gently released the bream back into the water, watching as it disappeared beneath the surface, perhaps to be caught again by another lucky angler.

As the day went on I couldn't help but smile, knowing that I had experienced a fishing adventure unlike any other. And though the memory of that epic catch would eventually fade, the thrill of the chase and the joy of reeling in my biggest fish would forever remain etched in my mind.

I would like to thank @DerekD again without his knowledge and teachings I would have never plucked this beauty on topwater. 

Gear used:
    Rod - Yamaga Blanks Blue Current Stream-Special 77/TZ Nano
     Reel - 21 Daiwa Luvias Airity LT 2500-XH
     Line - Varivas Avani Saltwater Finesse PE X8 PE 0.8
     Leader - Matsuda Black Stream Plasma #1.5 6lb
     Lures - Daiwa Infeet Slippery Dog 80F Moebi

Edited by FlicknFishWithAnthony
Edit tags
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

That’s a stunning fish. What an absolute horse, and on surface as well - catch of a lifetime that, well done!

On such light gear too. You’d have been delighted to have a mate work the net for you as I’m sure she would’ve tested your leader knot if you were lifting her up!

Well done @FlicknFishWithAnthony that’s the stuff of dreams.

• Like 2

46cm is indeed a trophy fish and a capture to be proud of and to take it on a surface lure is icing on the cake. Great job.
These Slippery Dogs seem to be pulling a lot of quality fish lately.

• Like 1

WOW! What a top report mate. A massive Bream that is probably older than you are. Brilliantly described in detail... as you say a fish you won't forget in a long time. Keep up the good work, no telling what's around the corner.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike Sydney said:

That’s a stunning fish. What an absolute horse, and on surface as well - catch of a lifetime that, well done!

On such light gear too. You’d have been delighted to have a mate work the net for you as I’m sure she would’ve tested your leader knot if you were lifting her up!

Well done @FlicknFishWithAnthony that’s the stuff of dreams.

Thank you @Mike Sydney !

Definitely without his help with netting the fish I couldn't have done it myself she was a donkey.

I have to thank @DerekD for his FG Knot tying skills it would have gave me a second thought if I tied my usual double uni knot against this beast. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

46cm is indeed a trophy fish and a capture to be proud of and to take it on a surface lure is icing on the cake. Great job.
These Slippery Dogs seem to be pulling a lot of quality fish lately.

Thank you @Green Hornet

Definitely a catch I wont forget and will be hard to beat !

Oddly enough I've noticed these slippery dogs have been more consistent then any other topwater lure I have been using at the moment.

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

WOW! What a top report mate. A massive Bream that is probably older than you are. Brilliantly described in detail... as you say a fish you won't forget in a long time. Keep up the good work, no telling what's around the corner.

Cheers, bn

Thank you @big Neil definitely a fish i wont forget !

Hi @FlickNAnthony,

When I showed you how I fish the topwater lures I was really impressed at how quickly you grasped the concepts I was showing you. When I then inadvertently ran into you and Brendan a week or so later and you told me about this fish it put a huge smile on my face. You've now seen how effective a pause can be when teasing up these bream. I am kind of jealous of this fish and kind of pity you at the same time. That fish would be the fish of a lifetime for many people. The record on this site for yellowfin bream is 47cm and only 1cm more than that horse you landed. It is good to know there are bigger ones out there but I hope it doesn't take you a lifetime to better this one.

Looking forward to more discussions with you on fishing theory and even more fish.

Well done.

Derek

PS. Brendan took a cracking photo.