new kayak advice

bennoz

G'day all

managed to convince the missus to let me get a kayak (finally), as ive been wanting to get one for a while now

thought - what better place to ask for advice than here, before i go running all over town

im after a kayak mainly for syd harbor and around the heads / longreef.

i envisage a few beach launches (especially on our usual holiday haunts) - but only in small conditions

Hobie seem to be the most popular by far and ive narrowed it down to either revo 13 or adventure models but i dont have my heart set on a hobie.

Id like to look at other brands, preferably able to see / sit in before i buy - hoping you can suggest a few as i cant seem to find anything decent. i know they're out there, just cant seem to find much

also - is there a good time to buy them? as in summer sales or just before the next model is released?

obviously trying to save as much cash as i can and get the best deal possible

Hi Bennoz

Well done, on getting financial approval from the Ministry of Finance ...... Step 1 completed!!

NOW .... just time to do your homework!

Either the Revo 13 or Adventure would suite the purpose - even the Outback as well. The main reason Hobie 'has it' over most other kayaks is having the Mirage Drive/pedal that allows you to maintain your position in both wind and current, even with a big fish on. It also allows you to pedal AWAY from structure without even winding the reel, to get your fish into safer water, to THEN commence the reeling in. This advantage CANNOT be understated!

Best thing would be to meet up with as many yakkers as you can and actually ASK them if you can give their yak a try! Most would be amenable to this.

I see you mention 'sit in' ........ not many (if any) people use 'sit in' yaks for offshore fishing - they are just too difficult to empty out in the case of tipping over ...... so most are 'sit on' yaks (with internal storage for gear & even rods in some models.)

...but only in small conditions.... you may only intend to fish small conditions but it will only be a matter of time before you are caught out in 'big' conditions, so your craft needs to be able to deal with ALL conditions!

You can buy yaks 2nd hand - just google them! NEVER BUY, unless you TRY! Remember that on top of your purchase, you then need to get safety gear as well - often this comes included in a 'used yak' price - so a real advantage in many cases.

Definitely after new models have been put on the market, you can usually find people 'upgrading' to the new models ...... you just have to be in the right place at the right time & have the $ available for a quick decision!

Good luck on your hunt

ROberta

Edited by Roberta

Thanks roberta!

ive a mate who has the outback, and ill be trying that out next weekend!

the "sit in" i was referring to was a "try before i buy" statement. as in be able to sit in it at the shop

and the "small conditions" was in reference to launching from a surf beach. couldnt imagine getting past the breakers in a decent swell

sorry for the confusion - was trying to be quick at work while the boss is away from his desk lol

No worries, Bennoz - have fun in the outback, but try as many others as well, before you buy.

,,, as in be able to sit in it at the shop...

When you try any yak - it must be on the water, not just in the shop. You can't 'test' the stability or your 'comfort factor' just sitting in one on the shop floor. One BIG tackle shop up in Coffs actually has a big indoor pool IN the shop, that they allow people to 'test' their yaks for stability - but you still can't beat being out in the open to test one fully.

..couldnt imagine getting past the breakers in a decent swell...

I've gone out in perfect conditions & within 3hrs, it has gone belly up (in an estuary) and the waves that I was surfing home would have done any beach proud! Trust me - you have to be prepared for any conditions on any given day - cos it is just a matter of time til it happens to you. All the more reason to have all the safety gear, and even an 'escape' plan (land at the closest spot, not necessarily where you launched from) if things get tricky.

Have fun looking & good luck on the hunt

Roberta

G'day mate, Im a hobie Adventure Isl. owner and a big fan of this craft, I mainly use it just in yak mode and now don't use the drive but paddle instead!!(I find that fishing shallow water the drive is pain in the you know what, and in decent seas Id rather paddle, if im not in sailing mode) the adventure handles the ocean well as well as being a pleasure on the harbour too.... but for the price and now that there is not a dedicated Hobie store in Sydney makes them not the best option...., a good kayaking mate recently purchased the Eco Ambush from one of the "big outdoor" stores and he loves it!!! plus with a sounder and upgraded paddle he got change from $1000.00, which is a quarter of what my AI cost!....have a good look around there are so many options !!!!

Cheers