Oops I seem to have cast my rod

Prawns

Walked down the waterfront as usual for a bit of a play getting used to my gear

About 2 hours in, I had my little lightweight 2 piece 2-4kg rod out running my lightest lure

th_20140121_131257_TanilbaAve_zpsd543c35

I went for a big "flick" and suddenly off shoots the 2nd half of my rod. The cast distance was actually pretty impressive but I was too busy running out into the water to notice it at the time.

It was about a dozen steps in when I remembered the phone in my pocket, Doh! I did a mad dash back in and deposited the phone on the beach safely thinking "do rods float?"

I had no idea if I had snapped off or not, but I ran back out into the water again up to about hip area depth and felt the line at my feet when i kicked it. I grabbed the line and pulled it in - Thank god it was all still attached

Is this a normal part of fishing? Or can I do somthing to my rod so it wont come into pieces again. I dont really need a 2 piece rod - is it ok to superglue the 2 halves together or perhaps some tape is a better idea?

I dont want to nearly have a heart attack fishing again is all, and the rod would be used around oyster rocks also using a popper so running out perhaps isnt a option next time

Oh and one more question, I had a play with my biggest baitcaster - I managed a small birdsnest due to my thumb nearly catching on fire with the friction against the spool, and my reaction to that was that I removed my thumb...oops (using a heavy sinker)

th_20140120_212847_zps770bff8c.jpg

Is there somthing you guys with baitcasters use that you can put over your thumb? I thought of gloves but mine are heavy leather ones - perhaps those would work anyway?

Oh well was a interesting day anyway - Even if I did come home shakey and with no fish :D

th_20140121_125556_TanilbaAve_zps726fe6d th_20140121_131457_AdmiraltyAve_zps20985

The wife suprised me when I got home and threw these at me as well (she is great and grabs the odd bargain if she sees it - $2 for this packet of hooks, and she got me some fake fish yesterday :) )

th_20140121_140651_TanilbaAve_zpsa27708f

Hmm sounds like the 2 piece was not put together tight enough? Did it snap or did it just slip?

When assembling a 2 piece push them together and then test with a little twist.....if it moves easily then you need to push down harder :D

Your "baitcaster" looks suspiciously like an Overhead. That lever on the right of it is the free spool tensioner or drag lever which you use to control the decent of your rig. Don't think you actually cast that one...it's more a drop off the side of the boat.

*EDIT* Just took a look at your collection, looks like both are overheads. Baitcaster usually have a thumb switch which allows you to release the spool to allow the rig to be casted, check your daiwa one and see if the thumb switch operates when you press it. Easy way is to have a light weight on the end, let it hang a few feet off the ground and press the switch.

Edited by LungFai

I was lucky and the rods 2nd half just "slipped" straight off and cast itself - no damage to the rod thank god

I didnt know there was a difference betwen "baitcasters" and "overheads" but perhaps your right as I wasnt having a great deal of luck getting a good cast unless I ran that heavy ball sinker and nearly burned my thumb off :D

I never thought to try and use the drag to slow it down but I might just keep that one for ocean work I think, As you say I think its more designed for it (specially attached to a 15kg jig rod)

I have another baitcaster/overhead (no idea now :D ) which is alot smaller - but the drag on it is a bit high I think and I cant figure out how to back it off to zero. I thought it had a adjustment on the side, but that cap just unscrews and leaves a hole where I assume I put oil in? Its a Daiwa 300 MF-S and i dont have a manual or anything for it. any ideas on that one?

The Daiwa baitcaster?

th_20140121_163220_TanilbaAve_zpsd08e7e5 th_20140121_163108_TanilbaAve_zps86fe8b6 th_20140121_163143_TanilbaAve_zpse5be47a

I had my shimano 10kg rod fixed this morning for the Daiwa to go on, would be nice to figure it out :)

Ahh thats a better angle on the Daiwa......and it looks like a Millionaire.

But yeah that one is probably a baitcaster....go test it :)

Ohh and the little knob that feel off is probably it's drag setting knob *edit* It's actually the Cast Control Cap. The Drag is located on the handle, the brass coloured nut on your reels case.

Also, i don't think the Shimano would be a suitable rod for the reel, probably pair better with your 2-4kg. unless you have a baitcaster rod in your collection.

Edited by LungFai

Yeah the "cast control cap" which fell off, I just undid to show you guys in the photo :D - It does nothing on mine though - Its the exact same drag whether its on tight or even completely off and removed. Maybe Im missing somthing which is supposed to be in there like a pin or somthing? (got given the reel for free and dont know its history)

It is very close to a millionaire - nice spot :) Its a jap import though and I cant find any information on it apart from this with a google search which has better photos and reckons they are alot better than the millionaire s (I dont know my reels so that means nothing to me)

Thats a great video - turns out mine doesnt have any adjustment for the magnetic drag either I dont think - just the main line drag and that cap which I removed in one photo I might start saving for a new one perhaps.

I had a go today and was really happy with how easy it was compared to the bigger okuma overhead reel. No thumb burn this time on the shimano rod using the daiwa baitcaster and I used the same sinker :)

I love how easy they are just to press a button instead of lining up a bail etc, and the clicker is great as I can let it "stew" on the side with bait in "click mode" while I play with my tiny rod and lures :)

I did accidently forget to turn the clicker off before casting once though, and jammed down my thumb hard to stop the cast, oops.

Can doing that hurt anything because after about 20minutes solid casting after I did that the reel started "binding" in a regular pattern on the retrieve, and now its kind of making a light rattly noise. Might have to fly blind and pull it apart

edit - The millionaire comment made me think to search out some stuff on them

looks like my side plate comes off perhaps to control cast drag :) Guess I'll find out in a minute, thanks everybody :) Next time my rod tip flys off I will calmly just reel in hahahahha

Yay! I took off the sidecover and nothing sprang out at me, and they are exactly the same to set the cast drag settings as the millionaire series which means removing the side cover (bugga)

I might grease it all up and see about that rattle noise now I guess :)

gday Prawns, when you push the ferrules of a 2 piece rod together do not try to line the guides up on the first try ,simply push the two parts together with a bit of force and then twist the 2 sections to line up the guides, you may need to twist and pull apart at the same time to separate the pieces.when breaking down the rod. Tld,s and charter specials can be cast ,though it is not the best tool for the job.This can be made easier by rigging up the rod and tightening the cast control knob, disengage the clutch and slowly back off the pressure on the cast control knob until your rig descends to the ground smoothly with no backlash when the rig hits the ground. Dont try to cast over the horizon with this reel but instead use a slow smooth casting action with only very light thumb pressure to feather the spool to stop any overruns during the cast and clamp down tight as soon as the rig hits the water. Remember practise makes perfect

cheers troutboy

Thanks troutboy there's some great advice there I appreciate your help and time :)

Im pretty sure the big okuma reel features a easier cast control adjuster :) Well kind of easier in that its on the outside at least but it does require a screwdriver :D

I think I will save that one for ocean use from a boat anyway. After casting the daiwa alot, and comparing it to my efforts with the okuma yesterday - its much easier casting the daiwa even just from a weight perspective

the daiwa was on setting 1 out of about 4 for cast control drag, I backed that off to 0 and will give it a go today. Wish me luck, I was getting really good at the daiwa casting (spent about 5 or 6 hours just practising casting already using that one) I can do a "power cast" as hard as I can without birdsnests, but I might start small again now I respooled with different line and have also dumped cast control purely for cast distance reasons

If I come back with the birdsnest from hell today I think I will put it back on setting 1 lols, but I would love "full manual control" if I can manage to learn how

Edited by Prawns