Does a mandatory marine radio have to be fixed?

Mutt

As the topic suggests, my UHF radio is on the blink so looking at installing a VHF radio. Not the handiest of guys but have been quoted about $500 to supply and fit a GME VHF radio with antenna and base. Is that ok? Also, are handheld VHF radios legal? Thanks in advance!

jump on a boating site, bcf whitworths, bias etc and price it up yourself. I could install a radio myself but I guess around the 100 mark for install would be the going price. where abouts in syd are you at??

Thanks for your response, the $300 for the unit/aerial/base seems pretty reasonable, the $200 is for removal of old UHF, installation of new model etc and a 3 year warranty on the work. I'm in Southern Sydney near Peakhurst.

seems fair I guess, could you remove the old stuff yourself. its not that hard a job mate seriously, you sure you wouldn't be able to DIY??

any yeah +1 for huett marine, saved me $700 on my hds7 with structure scan and install.

Edited by mii11x

Hey mate I am sure you will be able to remove the radio at least. Should be some screws holding the radio in then the cable leading to the base which probably only has another 4 screws. Might need a sharp knofe to go through the skilaflex but that should be the most of it. Save $200

If it was me i would try and find the same radio, reverse the process and you have installed a new radio.

Think you need a cert for vhf but not if its an emergency.

Thanks again! I would love to support a site sponsor but with work and family commitments and where I live, it's too difficult to get up to Huett Marine. The person I'm looking at is mobile as well... I know about the licence and did see you can do it online and then go for the test, so will do that as well. Can you go offshore legally with a handheld VHF? Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...