When to clean fish.

wish2fish

Hi raiders,

When do you guys prefer to clean your fish?

I was always brought up to clean them when I got home from a fishing session, before freezing them.

I notice when you buy fish from the fish shop/market they clean them right when you buy them. When I asked why they were not cleaned already I was told its because they remain fresher.

When I think about it, each time I catch a keeper it's put on ice right away. When I get home they are still 70% frozen so I bag them and freeze them as is.

So far there have been no complaints about the taste of the fish on the table. Mind you they don't stay long in the freezer.

What are your thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when buying fish think about this, the guys that catch them are not going to go to the hassle of cleaning them when the little money they do make for the catch is by weight, then same goes for the markets & the shops until you pay for the waste, they weigh the fish telling you the price & then they clean it... the best burley you can get your hands on your probably paying $20+ per kilo and there throwing it the bin for you!

Mine are strait on ice or kept alive then in most cases I clean while some one else drives us back to shore.

Brett

I always brain spike mine and bleed and gill where needed then put them in a esky with frozen bottles of seawater thats 1/4 filled with seawater.

When I get home the fish are ice cold,and I take the fillets off and rinse in seawater which I brought home with me.

I find catching saltwater fish and rinsing in fresh spoils them.

My fish never touch freshwater from capture to plate.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Bleed and gut right on capture. Then onto ice if available, or saltwater till ice can be obtained. I think that the removal/non-removal of the innards make little difference to taste, but blood content definately does.

Catch, Bleed if need to . Put in Esky with Ice, Clean Gut & fillet at boat ramp cleaning station( It's against to fillet or cut heads your Fish off at sea , I think, not 100% , I never do! ) . Take home give it final clean before cooking or freezing. don't forget what you bye at the fish market can be up to a week since being caught by the time you have on the Table. Also they sell by the weight so the whole fish with head and all ads to the weight.

Cheers Oziodin