kingies pitwater jan '14 plz help :)

mikej

gday guys, mad keen fisho here, been thinking about my trip all week in my head looking forward to going for a kayak and getting my first kingie! (although ive been trying for a while hah)

Here is my plan so far and im very open to suggestions or anything i could do different to help me :)

1)Get in the water at the latest before first light,2) i have a two rodd set up. one with 20lb line and 30lb leader with whole fresh squid on two gang hooks and the other with a 100mm metal lure if anything pops up.

3)ive got a burley bucket aswell to drag around too.4) As as far as where to go on the yak im not sure yet im thinking either west head/barrenjoey or further inside pittwater around the moorings. If you guys can provide and suggestions it would be much appreciated

cheers, mick

Hey mick,

At least your thinking about your trip! In a yak I would recommend staying around the moorings in pittwater as it would be a bit easier to manage any change in weather.

Good idea to have two rods, but the idea of squid on a gang hook don't sit with me. I would prefer a 2 hook snelled rig. Makes the bait look more natural. And if you get a chance try catching a livie with the other rod and you can use the same rig for that. Good luck!

Cheers scratchie!!!

P.s welcome to fishraider!

Id be trying to get live squid or yakkas over fresh hawkesbury squid, I've downrigged and down rigged fresh hawks squid with not even a bit over some good marks then dropped a jig on top of them and hooked up on the first couple of drops. Also I wouldn't use a gang hook is be using a 4/0 love bait circle hook. I wouldn't want to be trying to take a set of gangs out of a king on a kayak. Also there's mostly rats around so you don't want to gut hook and undersized fish and do some

Damage to him. Your hookup rate won't go down if anything come up, kings take bait whole not have bites at it. Good luck

rats seem to be easy to catch (once you find em). they'l eat just about anything. i was pulling in rats over xmas just using pilchards and squid strips on a 2 hook paternoster. 4/0 hooks and a 3oz sinker at the bottom

the bigger legal / hodlums seem to be much more fussy in their biats - so fresh is best and squid over yakkas.

if i was you, and had 2 rods, id troll a lure and have a livie out. Xrap red head is my fav. dont spend too long gathering livies either. once you get 4 or 5 you should be good. Dead squid is also fairly good but i wouldnt use it whole. heck even yakka strips do okay (always fresh is best)

as others have said - stay away from ganged hooks. play around the moorings and good luck

ive heard one of those old man fishing theories - that kingies will shut down around the new moon (ie: now).

i dont know how true that is - as fish always have to eat, but maybe its got to do with things like prawn runs and they just arent interested in "normal" bait - who knows