New things to try off the rocks

krause

Hi all,

Ive fished the rocks for years, started as a bit of fun to catch any thing and has gradually got more serious (in regards to bottom bashing and chasing pelagics). Heading up on a trip with mates soon, and looking to try some new things. Looking to chase drummer, using unweighted bread/dough, prawns and/or cunji. I know it is not quite the right season for it, but fingers crossed. Also might give a few sp or hard bodies a go.

Just looking if any one has any advise regarding bottom bashing areas with a rocky/rumble/weedy bottom. Looking to catch any and all species. Any tip no matter how simply is appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Krause

Not sure how much advice i can provide but i can say for sure that drummer can be caught all year round. My bro has been out around a bit and been catching plenty of 40cm plus drummer all through summer. I actually mainly use a floating rig to target drummer but plenty of people catch drummer using the rig you described or using a tiny running sinker. As far as the experts tell me, drummer don't stray from the shore and is fairly sedentary fish. Heaps of information on site about drummer fishing.

If swells are low and little windy try squidding on the weedy bottoms as a new thing to try,

Cheers

berley ! dont leave home without it, lots of as well , but make sure that it does not fill them up, fresh baits , no servo junk , sharp strong hooks, fluoro leaders, slip, slop, slap, plenty of fluids non alcohol, breaky and lunch, RAINCOAT!! its goin to rain yeh? lifejacket if you got one, dont stop in one spot for too long if they are not there, heavy outfil, light outfil, dont give up , fish two tides , clean fish ice them and drop some of at my place , good luck., over and out.

I use use mix of bread crumbs and flour for berley, just shake it up then throw a couple of scoops out. Add prawn heads in to spice it up.

I have been finding the mark using cooked prawns, a bream hook no sinker and 10 pound line.

Use a small sinker if the wash is strong to ensure the prawn sinks so they can see it.

I think the float is a good idea as it will reduce snags and you can visually tell when your on...but you have to be quick.

The good thing it your by catch can be bream, the odd blackie, groper and wrasse

berley ! dont leave home without it, lots of as well , but make sure that it does not fill them up, fresh baits , no servo junk , sharp strong hooks, fluoro leaders, slip, slop, slap, plenty of fluids non alcohol, breaky and lunch, RAINCOAT!! its goin to rain yeh? lifejacket if you got one, dont stop in one spot for too long if they are not there, heavy outfil, light outfil, dont give up , fish two tides , clean fish ice them and drop some of at my place , good luck., over and out.

Great advise! :)

• 1 month later...