Tough week on the Harbour. Kings Salmon Bream

Brian

Hi Raiders,

It's been too long since my last post. Just got back from a soild week on Sydney Harbour.

Arrived last Thursday with 7 others from a social club from Tamworth. We based ourselves out of Narrabeen caravan park, and as I have/had the local knowledge (grew up on the Harbour) I got the job as tour guide.

We launched out of Roseville Fri, Sat and Sunday and hit all the regualr squid spots and then ran around the markers and fished Sow and Pigs as well as North Head.

The Sow produced for me as usual but, the going was a bit slow. A falling barometre might have had something to do with it. We picked up some rats and mostly small reddies along with a few nice blue lip bream. Out to North Head on Saturday and the gang got what they were after with a nice 85 and 77cm king. Surprisingly the best fish came off yakkas. Matching the hatch i guess, they are thick everywhere.

Sunday very slow and wetttttttttttttttt. Chips and hot chocolate at Watsons Bay was most welcome. The Tamorth crew left for home on Monday but all get a tatse of the Kingy sensation and also boated some consolation fish.

I stayed on for four more days based out of Forestville so easy access to Rosy boat ramp. Weather improved but not the fishing. Monday got out late and flicked some sp's for bream and flattys around rosy bridge and flats for zipp. Thought a bit of colour would have helped. The wind dropped off so ran to the Harbour proper and got up two quick squid and hit the markers again. 3 x 63cm rats for a bit of fun. One fish off each.

Tuesday I had the privlidge of a junior crew with my nephews aged 7 & 9. They had a great day catching lots of reddies and one 37cm trevally. I landed another 63cm rat which was chased by two much larger brothers up to the boat. Pulled the hooks on what was certainly another solid king. Again on the Yakka. Had both squid and yakka side by side and the yakka got hit first every time.

We got a visit from a large shark and a seal at North Head, and saw a ferry penguin swiming past. Had a small flying fish scoot across the surface too when we were at Old Mans Hat. So school news was full of interesting tales of their big day out wagging school and going fishing with their Uncle from the bush.

Wednesday and Thursday, easy squiding so with gun bait the odds were on for good kings but, every time pick pick pick. Such a shame to lose good bait to the pickers. Anyawy I got a thrill from a nice 68cm Aust Salmon on my squid bait at Old Mans Hat. Thought it was a kingy but he came out of the water like a missile right beside the boat twice. I reckon he'd put a dent in the bottom of the boat if he'd hit it. Made up for a lack luster day. Got the Sow going with 7 nice 33+cm silver bream which was also a bit of fun waiting for a big run. A mate good spooled on his bream gear by a king most likely a rat though.

Copule of interesting points. falling barometre, slowing down the bite. Squid got easier to catch as the fish were harder to find. Usually when the yakkas are at the back of the boat in the burley they scatter in a flash when king runs through. Tuesday I saw three Kings over a metre come past the boat in formation and through the burley. The Yakkas didn't even flinch, like they knew they were not going to get eaten today! Same with the squid, got easier to catch but, we couldn't even find a rat. I've been told it's the moon phase. They come on hard leading up to the full moon and as the monn passes they quiten down for a while. Anyone got similar records of this happeneing. Might be worth taking note of the moon phase, even though they are daytime feeders!

Anyway a quick pic of the 85cm king off the Hat.

post-2792-0-40342900-1392981116_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Brian.

Edited by Brian

Thanks for the reports, that was a good read. Wish I could fish for a week straight!

Interesting observations too regarding the moon phase and Kings cruising through the yakkas. Would love to hear the thoughts of more experienced fishos.

I've heard the theory before about the falling barometer slowing down the bite. Apparently has to do with the pressure affecting the fish's organs such as swim bladder and stomach. i.e falling barometer compresses the fishes organs, making them less hungry while a rising barometer results in less pressure on their organs, expanding the stomach and making them more likely to feed.

yeah I agree with that, with a falling barometer the fishing generally shuts down and they seem to go off the bite, a lot of the time you can see the fish but its almost Impossible to get them to take anything

we mainly fish with lures, so our tactic when the barometer drops is to run smaller 3 inch lures, run them long run them slower, go around 5 knots instead of 6-8. And even down rig one of the lures to get the lure right in the fish's face so they don't have to swim up to the surface to get it.

The fish seem lazier and less hungry, so I would say you have more chance of catching a fish with a smaller lure or bait that's run a bit slower once the barometer has dropped.

I think best the time fish is just before the barometer drops, they seem bite like crazy just before it drops. But anyway I am crazy fisherman so I don't care what the barometer is doing, I will fish anyway, I figure if I have a lure or a bait in the water I'm in with a chance :)

That's a great site. Seems to have some consistancy with how the fish were biting on Fri Sat and Sunday for us and then slowed down through the week. I'm actually hitting the Hawkesbury on Fri 28th, Sat 1st and Sun 2nd and according to that site the bite should be on. I'll take careful note and see what happens.

Cheers,

Brian.

yeah I agree with that, with a falling barometer the fishing generally shuts down and they seem to go off the bite, a lot of the time you can see the fish but its almost Impossible to get them to take anything

we mainly fish with lures, so our tactic when the barometer drops is to run smaller 3 inch lures, run them long run them slower, go around 5 knots instead of 6-8. And even down rig one of the lures to get the lure right in the fish's face so they don't have to swim up to the surface to get it.

The fish seem lazier and less hungry, so I would say you have more chance of catching a fish with a smaller lure or bait that's run a bit slower once the barometer has dropped.

I think best the time fish is just before the barometer drops, they seem bite like crazy just before it drops. But anyway I am crazy fisherman so I don't care what the barometer is doing, I will fish anyway, I figure if I have a lure or a bait in the water I'm in with a chance :)

Really interesting thanks for the explanation

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reports, that was a good read. Wish I could fish for a week straight!

Interesting observations too regarding the moon phase and Kings cruising through the yakkas. Would love to hear the thoughts of more experienced fishos.

I've heard the theory before about the falling barometer slowing down the bite. Apparently has to do with the pressure affecting the fish's organs such as swim bladder and stomach. i.e falling barometer compresses the fishes organs, making them less hungry while a rising barometer results in less pressure on their organs, expanding the stomach and making them more likely to feed.

I don't mean to be a drag but a falling barometer would pose less preasure on a fish not more, not suggesting I have any better ideas though. how a marlin in 600 meters deep water knows a tide change is occurring is a mystery too me.

We got a visit from a large shark and a seal at North Head, and saw a ferry penguin swimming past. Had a small flying fish scoot across the surface too when we were at Old Mans Hat. So school news was full of interesting tales of their big day out wagging school and going fishing with their Uncle from the bush.

What a great post, thank you so much for sharing a great experience for you and your nephews.

The boys tales at school must have been riveting for their mates, particularly when tales tend to grow in the retelling. Their "Uncle from the Bush" must be their hero now.

Cheers

Paikea

Thanks Gents,

Yes when my Sister-in-Law rang the school to tell them the boys were not coming in she made sure she told them why, as there'd be no hiding it the next day. I think the admin staff classified "reason for absence - Other." LOL.

Anyone got any other theory/s on the moon phases affecting the Kings and not just the barometric pressure?