Good Or Bad Johnson Ocean Pro 115hp

Martin

Hi guys,

Once more I need your help. I am flying up to Queensland on Saturday to look at a boat, (yes I’m still looking).

The boat has a 115 hp Johnson Ocean Pro, 1999 model. The dealer tells me with about 150 hours. There are no hour meter or log books. Tells me he sold the boat originally and traded it for the 1 owner on a new Stabicraft.

I am after any information on the Johnson Ocean Motors, good and bad. Looking foreword to Grants' and Iain’s comments.

Once again I'm going for an Aussie Whale 5.5 Pro-Fish and back in January 2005 many Raider members commented positively on the boat, in particular Pogo who has a Centre Console.

I had a guy out of our Brisbane office have a look at it and he said cosmetically it looked OK. So I have put down a deposit, bought a Saturday flight to look at it my self and go for a test run.

Once again thank you for your help and patience.

The dealer tells me with about 150 hours. There are no hour meter or log books. Tells me he sold the boat originally and traded it for the 1 owner on a new Stabicraft.

63850[/snapback]

Martin,

I cant help with the engine specifically however if he sold the boat originally and recently traded it in, presumably he knows the previous owner reasonably well? As a suggestion you could ask if the previous owner would be willing to take a call for a general chat re the boat, handling etc etc and at the same time confirm the hours.

Also for any second hand boat purchase I would invest $150 in a pre-purchase inspection.

Best of luck

Mark

Edited by MarkD

Gday Martin,

Yeah the Whaler is not bad cant remember any negative comment from last time.

Shall we discuss the Johno's oil injection ? :074: Dont think so. I think Iain is ready to feed me to the sharks on this issue :chair::1prop:

If the place selling the boat sold it originally, it stands to reason that they would surely have serviced it too. It would be nice to see some service history if you can.

Personally I think it is a pretty safe choice for a motor but it needs to be in good condition. 150 hours is nothing.

It could probably do with a water pump if it hasnt been done to be on the safe side too.

Any warranty ?

Sounds good if the motor is genuine.

Hope to see you out there soon :biggrin2:

Everyone knows my opinion so I won't harp on and I'll stay off my soapbox. I hear the collective sigh of relief :074::074::074:

In short I would be very wary of this motor. Here's why:

In 2000 Outboard Marine Corporation (OMC), the manufacturers of Johnson and Evinrude, went bust. Insiders will know the circumstances better than me but if you believe what you read they had a disaster with Evinrude FICHT fuel injection and of course the infamous VRO oil injection plus other issues such as the contracting US economy, pollution law changes etc etc etc.

In the years leading up to going belly-up, the organisation showed all the usual signs of a company in trouble. Executives coming and going, the CEO resigned, staff layoffs, selling of assets & busineses, consolidation of manufacturing facilities etc etc etc.

Anyway, in 2001 OMC were taken over by Bombardier who manufacturer stuff such as business jets, ski-doos, sea-doos etc. I have some personal experience in mergers and acquisitions and while I'm speculating in this instance, typically when acquiring a bankrupt organisation you will find a nasty surprise under every rock you turn over. This is evidenced that Bombardier would not ship motors & parts due to quality control issues until a complete revamp of manufacturing was undertaken.

The bottom line is that you will be buying a motor built smack bang in the middle of a company in the process of going bust. If you don't believe me, this is from 'Fortune' Magazine:

Bombardier faced a daunting challenge early last year when it bought the stumbling manufacturing operations of Outboard Marine Corp. (OMC), the maker of Evinrude and Johnson outboard engines, for $55 million. The quality of the engines had declined and dealers were deserting in droves. OMC's share of the $2-billion-a-year-plus outboard-engine market had plummeted from 55% in 1995 to 23% in 2000.

Mate you might be lucky but then again why take the risk?

Thank you guys, as always-great advice and balanced views.

If I am happy with the condition of the boat and the test run the next step will be getting a mechanic to check the motor out.

I will be asking for a warranty on the motor.

To transport the boat on the back of a truck to Sydney is $670.00

I am a bit sad at the thought of possibly selling my Stejecraft, feel like I'm cheating on her by flying up top Queensland to look at another boat.

Cheers

I am a bit sad at the thought of possibly selling my Stejecraft, feel like I'm cheating on her by flying up top Queensland to look at another boat.

Cheers

63901[/snapback]

Martin just give ole Sally Stejecraft a hug and tell her its not her , its you and that you still want to be friends. :wub:

Guest Jocool

To transport the boat on the back of a truck to Sydney is $670.00

63901[/snapback]

Time may be against us here...But I got my boat down here from QLD for under $300. Granted that was mates rates, but I'm sure you will find betterthan $670. The most I was quoted was $500.

I looked up the Aussie Whale 5.5 Pro-Fish, Nice looking boat Martin...Would be good timing to get it just as the water starts warming up!! :thumbup:

I dont know any good or bad things about the brand of outboard that you are getting, but did have to ship my boat down from Brisbane recently.

When I did bring mine down it cost around $ 700.

From memory they charged for the length on the trailer (7 Metres from tip to toe), and wernt worried about width (too much) or weight...all i had to do was get it to a collection spot in Brisbane, and then i picked it up from a collection site that was located out the back of Bankstown..

Around 5 years ago, I brought a tinny down, it was only 5 metres, from tip to toe on the triailer.. from memory this was around $400-$500

Maybe I was getting ripped off but that seemed to be the going rate at the time when I did my ring around

Good luck with the purchase!!

Joe, if the deal goes through I may do a little more shopping to transport her down. Thank you for the advice. The deal is as per what the Coach noted. I get it to their Depo, (via the dealer I would hope will be part of the deal). Then I can pick up from their Sydney Depo, currently at Revesby. Boat and trailer are 7m

Pogo, the boat you viewed if from Leisure Marine is the one. I have scoured trading post, trade a Boat and the internet and only came up with 3 of which 2 are centre consoles and 1 half cab. So its gotta be it and yes it is optioned up. They all seem to range from $38,000 to $31, 000. Hence the trip to Queensland as you once did and suggested I could do in your January post. So here we are some 7 months later.

Herby, don't worry about it as I assumed you were away. I know you would have had a look for me if you were in Brisbane. So thank you for your kind gesture, much appreciated. I will be taking a water test tomorrow if she looks as good as described by the dealer and my work college in Brisbane, who had a look at her on Thursday as a favour.

As I said and from Iain’s experience it’s the motor I need to get comfort in as I know buckles about engines, except to flush them out after each trip and regular service. If I had the cash I would like to think I could trade it in and go for the new Evinrude E-Tec 115hp. I know Grant is a big fan of the E-TEC. On the positive side a few people speak well of the Johnson Ocean Pro series.

Once again thank you all.

Yep thats the one I was looking at.

It certainly looks like a well optioned boat, wish mine had that bow rail (I've got the low one) and the baitboard looks fantastic, I've just got a bermuda one

If your looking at re engining, have a look at the suziki DF 140, thats what I'm saving my bottletops for. The Hull is rated to 150

I'm still a way off, (need to by a new house first, been looking down your way in fact) maybe we can do a double deal with Yabbie Marine.

Edited by pogo