Merimbula Snapper

Jew Stalker

I went out last weekend for a run with a friend I haven't been out with for almost 2 years due to being up in the mountains. To be honest it was just like I had never left aside from getting the boat ready, not having any kwells handy, and forgetting some food hehehe. It had been a while since I had been on a boat in the ocean... Most of my fishing lately has been shore based on trout streams or on the river close to food hehehe.

Anyway... back to the story. Up at pigeons wind passing and was at the boat ramp at first light. Was in the water a few minutes later with one thing on our minds... Snapper. It had been a while since I had gone for these lovelies so I was keener than mustard. The bar was nice to us, and it was a quick 3 minute run out to the reef at mach 10 where I was hanging on for dear life with nigh but a prop in the water thanks to my mates 140 horses on the mustang. We find the reef and I was straight into it. I rigged up a nice Berkley gulp which Berkley was nice enough to supply me with in the pack I got for COTY on a 3/8 nitro head head they also gave me and as soon as it was in the water the fish were willing to play ball. On the drop of the first cast my rod bends over and a quick minute later I had a nice panny in the boat at about 35cm. I instantly thought to myself... I love the fricken ocean.

This morning there was alot of cloud on the horizon so we didn't see the sun for a solid hour or so after sunrise which really helped the fishing I think. We drifted the reef for the next few hours and were rewarded with quite a few nice little reds from just over 30cm to just over 40cm. It was quite unusual also because usually as soon as the sun makes an appearance the fish go off the chew but this wasn't the case this morning. They continued to bite until about 11am and I was not complaining at all. Near the end of our snapper session I managed to get snagged down on the reef. I tried a few times to get my plastic back but it was pretty set on staying down there so I free spooled it for a minute or so then flicked my bail arm back over. Lo and behold my plastic released itself... a split second later it takes off at top speed ripping line off my spool. I called it for a king straight away and told my mate to chase him but as soon as he got the boat started and turning I felt the dreaded "ping". I was using 15lb braid and 16lb leader on a 5-10kg unit but it was not enough to stop this king bricking me on the bottom. Twas a little frustrating but that's fishing I guess.

Come around lunch though there were no more snapper wanting to take our plastics so we went for a flatty bash. Usually down here the flatties are not too hard to come by but this day we found it extremely hard to find them. We hit a few marks that my buddy has but initially all we could find were jackets as we lost a few rigs to them. We tried a few more places but unfortunately it was harder than trying to get blood from a stone. My mate managed two but I couldn't seem to find one. Bit unfortunate but you get that.

At the end of the day we managed 9 snapper, 2 tiger flatties and 1 red rock cod.

I kept the rock cod and 5 snapper and took them home for a feed as it had been aaaaages since I had enjoyed fresh out of the water reds and let me tell you they were absolutely sensational.

I have missed the salt so much but to be honest I didn't realise how much until I got back out there again. I still love my trout fishing though and the supreme challenge of it but now I am back in the salt the fishies better watch out. I have been training hard in the fresh and I'm ready to give these salties my complete attention for a while.

Thanks for reading, I know it was a bit long but it felt so good to get back out that I thought I should share all the details.

Luc.

post-22055-0-14163200-1394012183_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm let me see... Bass, trout not to mention catch of the year trout and a serious challenge hehe. That's fresh water fishing.

Gotta love the salt and the sweetwater I say. They are both awesome in their own very different ways I think.

Thanks Scratch it really was great to get out and snatch a few.

Well done mr stalker bet it feels good to settle back in,great feed you got there and yes it's getting close to pulling out the Jolly Roger again.im sure you will posting a report with a nice king soon!

Well done mr stalker bet it feels good to settle back in,great feed you got there and yes it's getting close to pulling out the Jolly Roger again.im sure you will posting a report with a nice king soon!

Mate it is great to get back into the deep blue. I can't wait till we set sail and hoist that flag once more... It is going to be chilly but if last time is anything to go by it will be absolutely insane and worth every second ;)

Well done Luc, nice feed of pannies there mate. Neil.

Thanks Neil. I can take you to the exact spot where we got them and I am sure I can get you onto some also. :)

Well-done nice to see you haven't lost your touch with Salt water Fishing. To get amongst the Red's is always a bonus . Enjoy your Dinner.

Cheers Oziodin :fishing1:

Cheers Oz. I think it is like riding a bike to be honest, once you learn you never forget... You just get better hehe.

P.S

Dinner was amazing. They were perfect pan size and cooked to perfection if I don't say so myself.