Replacing flooring

Shed1

Thinking of replacing the ply flooring in my 4.75 ally craft with s/steel checker plate. No idea on thickness I will need or wether or not the checker plate is going to add more weight than using ply and effect the overall performance. Anyone done this in a similar size boat pushed along by around 50 hp and been disappointed?

Cheers

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Is the reason for considering checker plate , weight , cost or durability.

Unless you have the cutting gear , aluminium is a lot harder to work with than ply. Also , as Cluster 13 mentioned , aluminium is not good on hot days unless it is covered with carpet or rubber matting.

Which is heavier , it's hard to say but a few extra kg's either way is not going to make any noticable difference to performance.

Geoff

Bonus with Painted Aluminium Checker plate (White) . yes it can get hot on very hot summers day , just wear some light foot wear! . but the advantage is defiantly so much easier to clean after a trip out , personally I would go with Aluminium . I have it myself and very happy with it .

Cheers Oziodin :fishing1:

Thinking of replacing the ply flooring in my 4.75 ally craft with s/steel checker plate. No idea on thickness I will need or wether or not the checker plate is going to add more weight than using ply and effect the overall performance. Anyone done this in a similar size boat pushed along by around 50 hp and been disappointed?

Cheers

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah you would use alloy not stainless. Plate thickness will depend on how much support in the sub frame under the existing floor, But I would suggest 3mm as a guide.

A tungsten carbide disc on a 4 inch grinder will slice through the sheet like butter!

Marine grade 5000 series alloy is what your after.