Kingies in Broken Bay

meg126

Christened the new boat today!

Dropped in from Woy Woy and cruised across to Pittwater to get some squid. Saw lots of squid go for the lures but just not take it.

Went to next bay and BANG - 3 nice squid in 15mins or so. Tried a bit longer but with the day slipping away, thought we would get some yakkas - thought being the operative word. Lots of sweep and pesky stripey little annoying things but only 2 yakkas.

So, off we went off Barenjoey. Put on the yakka and before it'd even hit the bottom BANG - off goes the line. Quickly flicked the bail over and the rod bends - Wowsers!! A few good runs and up it came - 70cm model! First legal kingie (2nd ever kingie). Boats around us were all the same, down and up, down and up kingie after kingie- mostly around the 60cms mark.

post-30804-0-26881000-1394355241_thumb.jpg

We got a couple more rats (live squid didnt get touched but it was pretty big). Cut up squid didnt make it to the bottom either.

My mate got sick with the swell, so back in the Hawkesbury picked up a nice flattie as I cleaned the kingie and squid.

post-30804-0-25114200-1394355585_thumb.jpg

Cooked it up with a lemon butter sauce on garlic mash with beans... spectacular start to the new boat which ran beyond any expectation that I had of it. Just a magic day out!

post-30804-0-23468700-1394355267_thumb.jpg

Edited by meg126

Awesome stuff meg and a great way to christen the new boat. Those little stripey things are probably trumpeters.

Grea write up there from start to the delicious finish!

Well done and look forward to more reports!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Meg126

We had the same issue with the sweep while trying to get yakkas, we were initially dropping the bait jig all the way to the bottom as soon as we changed the depth to just below the surface we had a dozen yakkas in about 5 mins. Give it a try next time you have that problem.

Meg126

what time of day and what tide were the kingies on the chew? Is my guess correct that it was about 8am, about halfway on runout tide?

I'm hoping to get out this sunday and get my 9yo boy to land a kingie, so any hints would be helpful.

thanks!

Is that your new boat in your profile pic?

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Great way to christen it.

You might get some nice yakkas on the inshore side of lion island. Got some big ones there last week but, some real nice 4inch models in a bit closer.

I could almost taste that picture of your dinner

Brian - Yup, that's the boat! I'm stoked with it! Did u get those yakkas near the beach (river side?). I'd be keen to test the theory about bigger bait...

Ginko - We caught the fish between 11-12ish Sunday. Can't remember the tide.

Have been following the post about floating ropes - boat right next to us lost their anchor, got to take a pick for sure and take care around the area.

Edited by meg126

Hi Meg126

Sounds like you were around the same area as my post regarding the stray ropes. If your going to anchor definitely go the pick, but I think drifting across your mark and then repeating is the most effective way to get your bait or jig exactly where you want it. Congrats on a fantastic looking fish. Perfect christening for your new boat.

Cheers, Bart

Edited by Bartdude