Windsor Bass'n

Pukka

RichP and meeself fished the Hawkes' at Windsor y'day.

We fished nearly all day and "thrashed the water to a foam", as they say, for a grand total of 4 bass, (see my last comment below) and a handful of missed strikes.

It was a tough day, but fortunately all the fish were of a reasonable size, the best fish which went 40cm to the fork, coming right at the end of the day.

My fish fell to a gold coloured Ecogear VT55, Rich snared his on a dark coloured Jackall TN50.

Puk'

P.S. I had a suspicion the fish I'm holding in the third and last pics' were EPs and after looking closely at the pics again I think they were post-spawn EPs.

post-68-1125181374_thumb.jpg

post-68-1125181384_thumb.jpg

post-68-1125181393_thumb.jpg

post-68-1125181405_thumb.jpg

post-68-1125181501_thumb.jpg

Guest Jocool

Some nice fish starting to come out of the system. :thumbup:

As far as the fish being EP rather than Bass, I got this straight of the Fisheries website...

Estuary Perch - Macquaria colonorum

Characteristics - The Estuary Perch looks similar to the Australian Bass (Macquaria novemaculeata) but can be distinguished by a straight dorsal head profile, has white anterior pelvic fin rays and is less silvery overall. Juvenile fish can be found with a dark spot behind the eye. The overall colour of the estuary perch is grey with a silvery sheen on its sides with white colouring below. The fins are a slight brown colour and darker than the body.

Australian Bass - Macquaria novemaculeata

Characteristics - Bass vary in colour from silver, green and bronze. The fish migrate downstream to the estuaries to breed between May and August. Females are much larger than males. Adult fish are general purpose carnivores. The bass has a back profile that is arched from above the eyes to the tail with only very slight tapering of the snout.They are sought after sport fish with bait, fly and artificial lure. Although considered excellent eating, the majority of fish are returned to the water unharmed.

Did you take any notice of the pelvic fin array? That would seem to be the clincher I would say.

EDIT: That third one does look slightly paler in the pelvic fin...But it could be the lighting :wacko:

Edited by Jocool

Some nice fish there Joe. Although not 100% reliable it is pretty close to it, bass have a tinge of white on the edge of the bottom fins and ep's don't (not very easy to see on photo's but easy with fish infront). Here's a couple of fish from out there today Mick and I caught that may help to show the difference rather than dictionary. Mick's bass went 43cm fork and my perch 38cm fork. Top fish is perch.

post-114-1125208242_thumb.jpg

post-114-1125208333_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rick T

Congrats Pukk and Rich.

All those spots look very familiar to me as im a Richmond boy.

Well done. There seem to be alot about at the moment with heaps more to come. They are just starting to move up in big numbers.

If either of you guys are keen and don't want to bring your boat up to the hawks and want to go bassin, then let me know as I am always happy to put in my boat as it takes me 10 mins to get to the ramp.

Cheers

Lee