Port Hacking - fish

Yowie

Fished the deep off Lilli Pilli for the tailor, the only thing of interest there.

Pumped some nippers at Maianbar, standing in water less than knee deep. Threw out a nipper on the whiting rod, and it was a fish on in no time at all. Ended up with 7 whiting, including the bigger ones, in water not much more than 30 - 40 cm deep. A couple of blokes were watching me catch the fish while they were also pumping for nippers, but they did not throw out a line. If it was me watching, I would have had a line out to catch some.

Drifted towards Lilli Pilli from there for the other whiting and the flattie. Enough for a couple of feeds for mum and my family.

Was thinking of heading home, when I saw fish smashing into baitfish in the main channel between Lilli Pilli and South West Arm. Headed there at speed and saw they were bonito. Lure out and the fish were hungry. Ended up with the 4 bonnies, plus several spat the hook, and one bit off a lure. A few of the strikes were right on the surface, could see the bonnies grab the lure then head off at speed. At the top of the tide, they disappeared. As some of the hooked fish were swimming near the boat, other bonnies were swimming with them. Used a 10 gram metal lure (blue coloured pilchard design) on 4kg mono on a whippy spinning rod. Bit of fun.

The bonnie fillets are salted now, drying out before being frozen. I know some Raiders eat them, but I'm sticking with the whiting fillets.

post-13153-0-18615900-1395132502_thumb.jpg

Edited by yowie

Nice work on the whiting,

I've started sight casting for them in 1 foot of water too. Using circle hooks and a tell-tale on the line.Always come home with a nice feed. Big ones too

I learnt as a kid (long time ago now) that whiting will feed in shallow water. I caught them wading the shallows when other fishos headed past me in boats and caught bugger all. On 2 occasions I caught a whiting feeding in water that shallow that it's back was out of the water. Dropped a nipper beside the whiting each time to watch the whiting almost walk on water to grab the nipper.

Tremendous session Yowie :thumbup:

You always deliver the goods and bring home a nice feed and good on you for looking after your mum too.

Congratualions on your 1000th post by the way!

Top work and keep it up.

Ian

Thanks for that, 1000 posts, too much to say. :biggrin2:

Yes Groper, the whiting were yumo, bread crumbed and pan fried.

The flattie fillets were not too bad either, marinated in lime juice, lime rind, little bit of sweet chilli sauce, and a scrape of crushed garlic.

I kill and bleed my fish, to remove the excess blood, whether they are for eating or for bait.

Fish such as tuna, tailor, trevally go a bit soft if the excess blood is not removed, and if you want to salt fish for bait, the blood in the fillets just means more moisture to remove in the salting process.

I have an 80cm long esky in the boat for storing the fish until cleaning, and would rather have them dead than flapping about inside the esky. I freeze a 2 litre plastic container with water, drop the ice into the esky along with half a bucket of salt water, and the fish will stay cold for hours.